News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Can a Deist be an Atheist?

Started by Whitney, October 14, 2009, 06:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Based on my understanding of the terms, I say no...however some person on reddit claims a deist is not a theist and that a deist can therefore be an atheist.  

Context:
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment ... ?context=3

What do you think?

LoneMateria

Deism is a belief in a god they just don't think its a personal god like YHWH.  Since they have belief in a nonspecific god I say they should be classified as theists.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Tanker

Deism is the belief in a god, albiet an uncaring one. Atheism, as you know, is the disbelief in a god(s). So no a Deist cannot be an Atheist. I would guess this individual has an improper understanting of one or both terms.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Whitney

Thanks for your answers...I'm going to post this thread if he keeps arguing with me.  My understanding of the words atheist, theist, and deist are based on common usage....as evidenced by the current agreement between everyone in this thread.  If anyone disagrees, by all means chime in.