News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Should I care about the person's race I date?

Started by Ultima22689, October 07, 2009, 01:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

So i'm a pretty much mixed guy, my mom is mostly black, my Dad is LOLWTFBBQ? So while I was raised black alot of people don't accept me as black despite my curly hair which is pretty afrocentric but it's what a lot of people I have known in the black community to be called "good hair". Now I don't have a particular care about race really but my mom drills into my head how I should be with a black woman. Now my mom is by no means a bible thumper but she does believe sadly and is pretty self righteous, when someone argues with her she pretty much drones them out. She has this belief that mixed people tend to be somewhat crazy and looking at my Dad's family I guess that is somewhat warranted so she continues to tell me I should stick with a black women despite me usually being despised by black women for whatever reason I have yet to discover. Now I don't really care about race too much but should I? Is there even any evidence that mixed people tend to be less stable? It's something that has been bugging me for awhile.

Tanker

I don't see any reason what-so-ever to date within your own "race". The concept of race is fundamentaly misleading. Aside from a few arbitrary inherited genetic traits the idea of race is silly. The idea of "sticking to you own race" is generally rooted in ignorance and racism (which is caused by the former anyway). If you meet an individual who interests and excites would you allow something as arbitrary as say thier favorite color not matching yours to be a good reason to not date them? I'm guesing not, most differences in race are just as arbitrary. We all come from Africa when our ancestors left is just a silly reason when choosing a date.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Whitney

We are all human....what color your mate's skin is has no factor in if the offspring will be crazy or not.  That said, you probably should worry if the person you are dating has a family history of mental disorders.

Ultima22689

That all sounds about right, I wouldn't worry too much about mental problems seeing as my family is a staple of them, I myself am a mental disorder cocktail. YAY!!!

Kylyssa

I agree - there's only one race - the human race.  In that case, sure, don't date outside your race - humans only, bud.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I agree - there's only one race - the human race.  In that case, sure, don't date outside your race - humans only, bud.

Darn, Cats are so cute though....

SSY

So, she says that mixed people tend to be crazy, but then marries a mixed guy, and has mixed kids with him. She sounds like the crazy one to me.

If anything, surely being mixed is a genetic advantage, as it is as far away from inbreeding as possible. There have also been studies done showing mixed people have more symmetrical faces ( IIRC ) which is an indicator of healthy genetics.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

andrewclunn

Quote from: "SSY"So, she says that mixed people tend to be crazy, but then marries a mixed guy, and has mixed kids with him. She sounds like the crazy one to me.

If anything, surely being mixed is a genetic advantage, as it is as far away from inbreeding as possible. There have also been studies done showing mixed people have more symmetrical faces ( IIRC ) which is an indicator of healthy genetics.
I'd like to see those studies...
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Recusant

Quote from: "andrewclunn"I'd like to see those studies...

Though this page does not directly bring you to the studies in question (no doubt G oogle could help you there, were you truly interested in the subject) it does a decent job of discussing the issues and conclusions related to them.
 My opinion is that mongrels seem to be on the whole healthier than inbreds, regardless what species is involved.  Not to put too fine a point on it; race purists are simply parading their ignorance and prejudice.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LoneMateria

Race isn't important your interpersonal connection is.  Being crazy is a combination of Nature and Nurture.  I don't know of any scientific studies that show mix races has any genetic advantage or disadvantage.  Eventually, if you are lucky, you will find someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with.  I <3 my gf of 4 years and it doesn't matter to me if she is black, or asian, or hispanic, or whatever (were both white) I'd still love her.  Ultima you are an atheist.  Just use some critical thinking and some logic that you are obviously capable of using and come to your answer.  Don't let stigmas or prejudice determine this.  At days end all those are are meaning constructs created and maintained by the older generations and are arbitrary compared to your own personal happiness.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

AlP

I think we've missed something important. Who you date is your choice, not your mother's choice. Respecting your mother is all well and good. She's important to you right? But on something as important as who you date, your value judgments are more important than your mother's IMHO.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Will

I like Indians and Pac Islanders and Russians and Asians.
I like Latinas and Brazilians and Australians and Caucasians.
I like gingers and black girls and Arabs and Persians.
Yes I like to indulge in all womanly versions.  :P
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "LoneMateria"Race isn't important your interpersonal connection is.  Being crazy is a combination of Nature and Nurture.  I don't know of any scientific studies that show mix races has any genetic advantage or disadvantage.  Eventually, if you are lucky, you will find someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with.  I <3 my gf of 4 years and it doesn't matter to me if she is black, or asian, or hispanic, or whatever (were both white) I'd still love her.  Ultima you are an atheist.  Just use some critical thinking and some logic that you are obviously capable of using and come to your answer.  Don't let stigmas or prejudice determine this.  At days end all those are are meaning constructs created and maintained by the older generations and are arbitrary compared to your own personal happiness.

mmm indeed. I don't know why I didn't just assume it was more of her craziness, I should know better than that, well I have been browsing(trolling) the stormfront site lately, those people can really make you feel like there is no hope left in the world.

andrewclunn

Quote from: "LoneMateria"Race isn't important your interpersonal connection is.  Being crazy is a combination of Nature and Nurture.  I don't know of any scientific studies that show mix races has any genetic advantage or disadvantage.  Eventually, if you are lucky, you will find someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with.  I <3 my gf of 4 years and it doesn't matter to me if she is black, or asian, or hispanic, or whatever (were both white) I'd still love her.  Ultima you are an atheist.  Just use some critical thinking and some logic that you are obviously capable of using and come to your answer.  Don't let stigmas or prejudice determine this.  At days end all those are are meaning constructs created and maintained by the older generations and are arbitrary compared to your own personal happiness.

I'm in total agreement here.  People who try and push racial purity or try to push racial mixing based on genetics can shove it.  Happiness and love are what it's about.  Dating isn't some arranged dance for determining breeding stock.
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Will"I like Indians and Pac Islanders and Russians and Asians.
I like Latinas and Brazilians and Australians and Caucasians.
I like gingers and black girls and Arabs and Persians.
Yes I like to indulge in all womanly versions.  :P

I both agree with and adore this.  Oh, and men, too.