News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Camp Quest Texas 2010

Started by Whitney, September 20, 2009, 04:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I have volunteered to be co-director of Camp Quest 2010.  If any of the Texas folks have suggestions for locations they would be greatly appreciated.  We are going for a 5 day overnight camp and the site would need to be able to accommodate at least 100 people if not more.  While we are going to do our best to fund raise, affordable sites are best.  They can either be real camp sites (needing to set up tents) or have pre build enclosures (probably better since I'm not sure how many of our volunteers are use to camping).  Personally, I like the idea of having to set up tents (a great learning experience for the kids) but it does create the logistics of issue of who provides them.  

We also need lots and lots of ideas of things to do with the kids over these 5 days.  We're going to talk to the other CQ groups to see what they have done but also want to have our own unique twist.  

Fund raising, we're going to need to do that too.  If you own a business or know of a business that would be free thought friendly, just let me know the name and we can approach them (you can approach them too, just let me get you an offical letterhead so they know what it is going towards).

One thing that a few volunteers brought up at the meeting was how can we accommodate kids who have physical handicaps?  I think it is a great idea to make the camp handicap friendly but also don't want to restrict what other kids are able to do on the grounds of equality...does anyone have any experience or suggestions to help on this front?  How can we find a happy balance?  Should we even worry about this other than basics; like can they access the main areas but not necessarily go on trail hikes.  I"m personally leaning towards making sure anyone who has physical limitations can enjoy the camp yet might not be able to do everything the other kids do then figuring out alternative options on an as need basis (maybe let the kids choose between fishing and hiking so the kids that can't hike will have company fishing).

I'm very excited about getting this camp going and we'll need all the help we can get.  If anyone wants to volunteer, let me know...we have a list of positions to be filled (some of which don't require being in Texas) or you can come up with a volunteer position of your own.

Whitney

P.S.  Twitter users can follow @CampQuestTexas  I just created the account today.

jrosebud

I'll definitely be sending my kiddo to camp this summer.  I'd love to volunteer (as long as I'm not in charge of any munchkins - I'll cook, clean, help prepare for crafts, etc.), as long as it works out with whatever job I have at the time.

Do you know when it will be scheduled?  (My sister's getting married July 10th, so we wouldn't be able to make it then.)

If the camp is in Houston, the kids could visit Johnson Space Center.

You could also check out Camp Texlake in Austin.  It's owned by Girl Scouts of Central Texas (which is nonbeliever-friendly) and is available for non-Scout use.  It's quite nice.

http://www.gsctx.org/?nd=camp_texlake
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Whitney

We have a location and date...but I'm not allowed to announce it till the Convention on the 14th.  But, it shouldn't conflict with getting to your sister's wedding.  

We don't have any non-kid watching/interactive volunteer positions at the camp.  However, we do have various getting ready for the camp things you could help with...including helping our Austin Fundraising point person (as far as I know TBD) with fund raising efforts.

Thanks for the ideas, those are great options for future camps.

jrosebud

That's not really my thing, but thanks.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins