News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

E-Cigarettes

Started by Miss Anthrope, September 17, 2009, 05:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Anthrope

Has anyone heard of these? They're devices that let you inhale a nicotine vapor, which can be flavored like tobacco but without the combustion of burning and harmful chemicals. While they don't necessarily help you with nicotine withdrawal, they're relatively safe in comparison to cigarettes (no tar and all the other crap). In a way, they're basically like another form of nicotine gum but supposedly let  you simulate the act of smoking fairly realistically (so they're not really a quitting tool,  but more of a safer substitution for cigarettes). After the initial investment of the device, the nicotine cartidges are actually pretty cheap and so it actually works out to be cheaper.

I'm going to be ordering one after I do some research for the best brand. I like the idea of being able to quit without really quitting, as I like nicotine but don't like the health risks of smoking (and I hate chewing gum). And the sci-fi dork in me loves the idea of smoking the cigarette "of the future"  lol  Oh, how hip I'll be.

Any other smokers on here who have considered this? Let me know, and I'll update this thread after I've used it a bit and let you know what the results are.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

LoneMateria

I'm not a smoker but my dad is ... was ... is and will be public about it again soon.  I stumbled across the e-cigarette as an advertisement on Demonoid (my torrent site).  It looked interesting so I looked at the video they had for it.  I don't think they are designed to help you quit smoking.  Also it didn't say anything about how much would be equal to a cigarette's nicotine.  Does it have any health warning for breathing in vaporized nicotine?
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "LoneMateria"I'm not a smoker but my dad is ... was ... is and will be public about it again soon.  I stumbled across the e-cigarette as an advertisement on Demonoid (my torrent site).  It looked interesting so I looked at the video they had for it.  I don't think they are designed to help you quit smoking.  Also it didn't say anything about how much would be equal to a cigarette's nicotine.  Does it have any health warning for breathing in vaporized nicotine?

Yeah, they aren't marketed to help you quit, though depending on the person I could see it being used as a tool .I saw that you can also get various concentrations of nicotine cartidges, so theoretically one could gradually taper down on nicotine intake. I think the highest concentration is about on par with the nicotine levels of an actual full strenght cigarette. I haven't noticed any health warnings, and although i don't know enough to say for certain, I can't imagine vaporized nicotine being any worse than breathing it in via smoke. Nicotine itself isn't really "dangerous" ;it is highly addictive, and in high concentrations it can be almost instantly lethal; also been shown to be linked to birth defects; but it hasn't been proven to be a carcinogen.

AlP

I wonder if I could "smoke" those in the office? People would disapprove of course but that's half the fun =).
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "AlP"I wonder if I could "smoke" those in the office? People would disapprove of course but that's half the fun =).

Legally, I think so, because it doesn't produce smoke and is not a tobacco product. For instance, here in New York it is against the law to smoke in a bar, but there would be no grounds for being fined if you were using the E-cigarette. All it is is an electronic nicotine dosing device. If someone can use their inhaler in the office, or chew nicotine gum, there shouldn't be any reason, technically, to not use it in a workplace, as such a thing would most likely not be alluded to in company policies. I'm sure there would be some fuss, though, at least at first. Legally, though, I would imagine you would be in the clear.

Whitney

I remember seeing a commercial a few years ago for a device like that which was being marketed for quitting smoking.

Do you have a link?

Tom62

Last year, I got one a "Smoking Everywhere E-Cigarette"from my wife as a birthday present. The idea behind the e-cigarette is pretty good. You can get your daily doses of nicotine, without the harmful side effects of smoking traditional cigarettes.  It is a pollution free, non-flammable product.

My experiences so far:
Pros:
- it reduces the craving for a real cigarette.
- you can smoke everywhere

Cons:
- the cigarette itself is much heavier than an ordinary cigarette.
- it is expensive.
- you'd need to load the battery very often.
- a half empty battery might cause hyperventilation.
- the taste of the cigarette is very disappointing.
- the e-cigarette can easily be damaged when you replace the nicotine cartridge.
- the smoking experience is more like an illusion than the "real" thing,
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "Whitney"I remember seeing a commercial a few years ago for a device like that which was being marketed for quitting smoking.

Do you have a link?

Here are the two sites I've checked out:

http://www.intellicig.com/

http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/

Quote from: "Tom62"Last year, I got one a "Smoking Everywhere E-Cigarette"from my wife as a birthday present. The idea behind the e-cigarette is pretty good. You can get your daily doses of nicotine, without the harmful side effects of smoking traditional cigarettes. It is a pollution free, non-flammable product.

My experiences so far:
Pros:
- it reduces the craving for a real cigarette.
- you can smoke everywhere

Cons:
- the cigarette itself is much heavier than an ordinary cigarette.
- it is expensive.
- you'd need to load the battery very often.
- a half empty battery might cause hyperventilation.
- the taste of the cigarette is very disappointing.
- the e-cigarette can easily be damaged when you replace the nicotine cartridge.
- the smoking experience is more like an illusion than the "real" thing,

Yeah, I figured that it wouldn't be quite the same as a real cigarette. I'd imagine it doesn't provide that "harsh" feeling that smoke does. But the nicotine replacement aspect might be enough to make it work for me, maybe once I get used to it I won't reallly care about smoking real cigarettes.

What do you mean about the half empty battery causing hyperventilation? Because it forces the person to pull harder?

All the cons are a lot better than the cons of a real cigarette. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience.

Whitney

How long does a cartridge last (how many normal uses)?  They are wanting about $10 for 5 cartridges.  If they only work for one use then it would be cheaper to get the lozenges and not worry with the delivery method being like a cigarette.

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "Whitney"How long does a cartridge last (how many normal uses)?  They are wanting about $10 for 5 cartridges.  If they only work for one use then it would be cheaper to get the lozenges and not worry with the delivery method being like a cigarette.

From what i've read, a cartidge typically lasts for about 10-15 cigarettes worth (I'd imagine it also depends on how rapidly a person smokes). This goes along with claims that after the intial investment of the device itself, it's actually cheaper than buying cigarettes (here in NY, the cheapest cigarettes are 7 bucks a pack,though i roll my own with 4 dollar packs of Tops tobacco which I stretch out for 3-4 days, so I don't spend much anyway).

Tom62

Quote from: "Miss Anthrope"Yeah, I figured that it wouldn't be quite the same as a real cigarette. I'd imagine it doesn't provide that "harsh" feeling that smoke does. But the nicotine replacement aspect might be enough to make it work for me, maybe once I get used to it I won't reallly care about smoking real cigarettes.

What do you mean about the half empty battery causing hyperventilation? Because it forces the person to pull harder?

All the cons are a lot better than the cons of a real cigarette. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience.
If you only smoke filter cigarettes then the e-cigarette is a very good replacement. The smoking experiences of the e-cigarette diminishes when the battery runs out. You have to pull harder to get the same effect. For that reason it is a good idea to keep the battery fully loaded. Another thing to watch out for is not to squeeze the e-cigarette nicotine cartridge with your teeth, unless you'd love to have a dreadful nicotine taste in your mouth. I'm quite happy with my e-cigarette. No more finger stains, brown teeth, foul stench in clothing and rooms, more healthier for myself and the people around me, etc. etc.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "Tom62"If you only smoke filter cigarettes then the e-cigarette is a very good replacement. The smoking experiences of the e-cigarette diminishes when the battery runs out. You have to pull harder to get the same effect. For that reason it is a good idea to keep the battery fully loaded. Another thing to watch out for is not to squeeze the e-cigarette nicotine cartridge with your teeth, unless you'd love to have a dreadful nicotine taste in your mouth. I'm quite happy with my e-cigarette. No more finger stains, brown teeth, foul stench in clothing and rooms, more healthier for myself and the people around me, etc. etc.

Thank you for the advice; good things to know for when I finally get it. And it's good to know that you're happy with it (it sounds like you've switched from real cigarettes completely), makes me a bit more confident that I'll be able to make it work for me.

I'm thinking that I might also cut down on my smoking quite a bit before I start using it.

Renegnicat

Since I'm not allready addicted to nicotine, I don't see any reason to start now.  :headbang:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Big Mac

I just quit smoking over a week ago and I feel great. I didn't really smoke much compared to the average (I'm guessing a pack a day smoker) so it was more of feeling like there were gaps in my routine. If you can, quit with just force of will or use the American Cancer Society quitline. Nicotine is not something you want in your system, it's still bad for you!

Here's a video from Australia that really helps bring the damage of smoking into focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0hz3MNpcr8
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?