News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Another Amazing Atheist vid

Started by Ultima22689, September 07, 2009, 10:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

I was thinking. The fact that conservatives are marching and protesting is a good thing, doesn't that entail that the country is shifting towards being somewhat more progressive? Anywho watch this video because the irony in the 9/12 march is pretty darn sad and messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM0-wcYdQ1o&feature=sub

Will

The protests are artificial. These people would protest against adorable snoring puppies if Glenn Beck told them to, so I don't take much stock in their commitment to free speech (can you imagine little puppies with Hitler mustaches?). The organization is highly centralized and controlled by corporate interests so it's no more an act of progressive free speech than Fox News is a stand-up example of freedom of the press.

Anyway, the video is correct that protesting doesn't work anymore. I was at the San Francisco anti-war protest in 2003 where there were hundreds of thousands of citizens taking to the streets to try and prevent a illegal and foolish military engagement. In New York there were at least 500,000 people. It was the largest anti-war protest in the history of the human race, and we were entirely ignored. It doesn't even matter that we were right, what matters is that we have to adapt to a new method of protest that's more effectiveâ€"more difficult for corporatism to attack or marginalize. So far I can't think of anything legal that stands a chance, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Reginus

Agreed, trying to sway the opinions of government is pretty much useless. Besides, whether you want to admit it or not, there's essentialy a 50% chance that you're wrong about what would be best for the country.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Reginus"Agreed, trying to sway the opinions of government is pretty much useless. Besides, whether you want to admit it or not, there's essentialy a 50% chance that you're wrong about what would be best for the country.

Maybe you're right but i'm pretty sure the people who think the president isn't even American and want 42 million people to go without healthcare and carry loaded guns to presidential events that have nothing to do with the 2nd ammendment, would do the hokey pokey for corporate greed without even realizing it aren't right.