News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Silly beer chilling idea

Started by AlP, August 30, 2009, 12:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

I came up with another stupid idea for an invention. It's for instantly chilling beer or other beverages.

The device would, over a period of time, push air into a container capable of holding it at very high pressure, like a small Dewar flask. Eventually, I think at about 60 PSI, it would become a liquid. At this point the compressor would stop. Liquid air is very cold: about -200 degrees C.

To chill the beer, the device would release the liquid air slowly into the beer bottle via a tube, turning the air back into a gas and thereby chilling the beer. A thermostat mounted on the tube would measure the beer temperature and regulate the valve. When the beer was at the desired temperature it would close the valve. This shouldn't take long. It's possible to make frozen ice cream instantly by dumping liquid nitrogen into ice cream ingredients.

But liquid nitrogen is a dangerous thing to have around the kitchen and it seems to me that liquid air is easier to make and much safer to release into the atmosphere.

The device would look a bit like a soda-stream.

I think this works in principle. A few things I don't know... Could the device be made small and safe enough to be used as a kitchen appliance? Would it cause the beer to froth up and explosively exit the bottle? Would anyone buy it? What am I even asking. Yes! =)
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Tanker

Sounds great, just don't forget to idiot proof it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Patent it. :cool:

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Tanker"Sounds great, just don't forget to idiot proof it.
An absolutely crucial part of the plan, considering the nature of the drink. :beer:
-Curio

AlP

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Patent it. :cool:
I can do one better. This idea is now public domain. I hate patenting. This idea cannot now be patented unless somebody has already submitted it as a patent. Chilled beer all round! Do you hear me soda-stream?

Tanker

partaily off topic but don't most Europeans prefer their beer warm. Despite all logic of it being way more refreshing and satisfying cold.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

AlP

Quote from: "Tanker"partaily off topic but don't most Europeans prefer their beer warm. Despite all logic of it being way more refreshing and satisfying cold.
Yes. British people prefer their beer at room temperature. This is because British beer tastes good. American beer is better chilled because then one cannot taste it. Joking. But not really.

Tanker

Quote from: "AlP"
Quote from: "Tanker"partaily off topic but don't most Europeans prefer their beer warm. Despite all logic of it being way more refreshing and satisfying cold.
Yes. British people prefer their beer at room temperature. This is because British beer tastes good. American beer is better chilled because then one cannot taste it. Joking. But not really.

Mabye that mass producd domestic piss water. I for one drink micro brews and the like. Great taste and better cold. I don't know why but beer just seems wrong warm.

Recusant

In theory, this is a sound idea, but it's not as technically simple as you've described.  For instance, the process of liquefying air is not that easy, requiring pressures a couple of orders of magnitude larger than you have imagined, and according to the article I quote below from Answers.com, it has to be cooled at the same time. (For the process to work efficiently, I assume.)

Quote from: "Columbia Encyclopedia"...a pressure of 200 atmospheres, or about 3,000 lb per sq in.

I'm not sure the air has to actually be liquid for this idea to work, though.  The fact that you've compressed it means that it will absorb heat as it's released, even if it hasn't achieved a liquid state.  It would have to be compressed somewhat more than 60 psi to be an effective cooling agent, though, I think.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AlP

I'm beginning to think it wouldn't need an air compressor at all. One could just sell ready filled compressed air flasks separately, like soda-stream does with carbon dioxide.

QuoteI'm not sure the air has to actually be liquid for this idea to work, though. The fact that you've compressed it means that it will absorb heat as it's released, even if it hasn't achieved a liquid state. It would have to be compressed somewhat more than 60 psi to be an effective cooling agent, though, I think.

Yeah I guess it doesn't need to be a liquid to have a cooling effect. I think it might be much easier to market the device if it used liquid air though.

SSY

As recusant said, liquid air will be hard to make.

You also allude to the fact that liquid nitrogen is dangerous, and indeed it is, but air is 79% nitrogen, most of the rest is oxygen, which is even harder to liquefy. Not to mention, releasing a large quantity of air into a beer may affect the flavor or carbonation of it. In short, I doubt it's going to work. Round here, a swanky off license (beer shop to the yanks) has a chiller, consisting of an insulated drum filled with liquid at below 0 degrees, I am guessing its a water alcohol mix or somesuch thing, chills the beer very effectively without opening the bottle after a short submersion.

Also, ale should be room temperature, lager nice and frosty, along with ciders, simple. If they had Bombardier in the states, or Director's, you would understand.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

AlP

Quote from: "SSY"As recusant said, liquid air will be hard to make.
Agreed! Certainly rather hard for something that goes in a kitchen.

Quote from: "SSY"You also allude to the fact that liquid nitrogen is dangerous, and indeed it is, but air is 79% nitrogen, most of the rest is oxygen, which is even harder to liquefy.
Yeah they're both dangerous. You wouldn't want to get drunk and accidentally freeze your hand trying to chill some beer. Ouch. I think air would be safer than nitrogen to release as gas though right. Nitrogen has the additional danger of suffocation?

Quote from: "SSY"Not to mention, releasing a large quantity of air into a beer may affect the flavor or carbonation of it. In short, I doubt it's going to work. Round here, a swanky off license (beer shop to the yanks) has a chiller, consisting of an insulated drum filled with liquid at below 0 degrees, I am guessing its a water alcohol mix or somesuch thing, chills the beer very effectively without opening the bottle after a short submersion.
Yeah I think that's true too. Not to mention it would probably turn the beer into froth!

How about this then... Put water / alcohol mix held in a a flask at regular pressure in the freezer compartment of a refridgerator. A device mounted to the freezer door would accept bottles. Pull a lever and it seals the compartment, fills it up with the water / alcohol mix and pumps it back into the flask after a period of time. Remove the bottle and you've got chilled beer =). No danger of suffocation or hands needing amputated. Yay!

The advantage over simply putting the beer in the freezer is you can't forget you put it there and wind up freezing it.

Sophus

Well it would certainly be more useful than a label that can turn blue.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver