News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original_gender

Taskbar Shuffle and AeroSnap are great if your office computer is running XP.

slapdashartist

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but Avast is a pretty good anti-virus software (it's what I use anyway). Spyware Doctor is also pretty useful. (Basically the whole Google Package is worth a look actually.) Google Earth is especially fun to play around with and also very helpful for directions.
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

ThinkAnarchy

http://www.truecrypt.org/ is a great open source program that allows you to encrypt files.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

The Magic Pudding

ProgDVB can be good to use if your TV card software misbehaves.

This isn't a program but it's useful if you don't like windows taskbar popup previews.

1. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named ExtendedUIHoverTime

4. Double-click ExtendedUIHoverTime and click Decimal

5. To increase the hover delay to 5 seconds, type 5000 . Type 10000 for 10 seconds and so forth...

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

7. Restart your computer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-you-disable-miniature-pop-up-windows-when/e77ada42-29e5-440e-a0be-74e737cf969d

Poptop

Mozy online storage appears to have gone from free to 5.99/mo.

Tank

Got a memory card that I can't copy from. Anybody recommend a good file recovery software?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

^ Recuva from Piriform.  There's a good free version here.  You have to search for the free version, it's not as obvious as the paid one.  Now why would that be?

It's here:
Version 1.40.525  (2,394 kb)
 - Download from FileHippo.com
 - Download from Piriform.com

leedan

Does anyone use a smart phone for internet communication? If so, I would be interested in some software or application suggestions.

Tank

Quote from: leedan on June 20, 2011, 04:51:21 AM
Does anyone use a smart phone for internet communication? If so, I would be interested in some software or application suggestions.

I just use the native browser to read the news. Are you on an iPhone or something else?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Whitney

For communication:
hootsuite: can manage multiple twitter and facebook pages from one app (up to 5 accts are allowed with the free version)
LinkedIn: manage your LinkedIn account from phone....good for professional networking.

For other stuff:
miCoach: Basically a computer personal trainer for running/biking.
Pandora: Free internet radio (up to 30 hours a month free...I only use it occasionally)
Yelp:  Find local restaurants

leedan

Quote from: Tank
I just use the native browser to read the news. Are you on an iPhone or something else?
I have a droid 2 with google. I think it works good but its my first smartphone. Only problem I have is managing some operations in forums like adding pics or references. Either I don't know how to do it or the phone is not able. I had to use the computer to add my avatar. Facebook and youtube have have no limitations. I am happy with it.

Quote from: Whitney
For communication:
hootsuite: can manage multiple twitter and facebook pages from one app (up to 5 accts are allowed with the free version)
LinkedIn: manage your LinkedIn account from phone....good for professional networking.

For other stuff:
Pandora: Free internet radio (up to 30 hours a month free...I only use it occasionally)
Yelp:  Find local restaurants
I'm not sure if I should complicate this phone with more com apps but I do love pandora. I also have tune in radio that streams stations from anywhere in the world. One of my favorite apps is google sky which will identify celestial objects just by holding the phone to it. Still can't locate heaven.

Tank

Leeden

The BBCode 'tags' use a form [function]something[/function] the [function] tag starts the operation the [/function] ends the operation the tags are identical except the end tag has a '/' in front of the function name so the quote function is [quote]'xyz'[/quote]

How the 'tags' work is explained here http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7473.0 in detail. Feel free to experiment on that thread :)

Regards
Chris

leedan

Thanks Chris,
I'll need some practice.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Whitney on June 20, 2011, 03:08:37 PM

For communication:

For other stuff:
Yelp:  Find local restaurants

Thank you for this :D I am also using my first ever smart phone.  It's an android huawei.  It's basically my only means for net at the moment.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

leedan

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 29, 2011, 12:04:50 AM

Thank you for this :D I am also using my first ever smart phone.  It's an android huawei.  It's basically my only means for net at the moment.

I love my smartphone. It sure beats waiting for the computer with the kids and all. Still tough to type with my fat fingers. Its almost like having the world in your pocket. Seems like an endless selection of applications to download and mess with. I found an app that actually looks as if you were drinking a beer from your phone :D. Oh, nice quote within a quote, showoff.