News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Utah boy takes joy ride to avoid church

Started by MommaSquid, July 30, 2009, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

QuotePLAIN CITY, Utah - Police in Utah say a 7-year-old boy led officers on a car chase in an effort to avoid going to church.

Dispatchers received reports of a child driving recklessly on Sunday morning. Weber County Sheriff's Capt. Klint Anderson says one witness said the boy drove through a stop sign.

Anderson says two deputies caught up with the boy and tried unsuccessfully to stop the Dodge Intrepid in an area about 45 miles north of Salt Lake City. The car reached 40 mph  before the boy stopped in a driveway and ran inside a home.

Anderson says when the boy's father later confronted him, the boy said he didn't want to go to church. The boy is too young to prosecute and no citations were issued, although police did urge the father to make his car keys more inaccessible to children.

Link

I'm confused about the "too young to prosecute" statement.  Don't children get charged with crimes every day in this country?  Do traffic laws somehow not apply to children?    :hmm:

Sheeplauncher

so a 7 y/o kid who doesn't know the rules of the road and prolly has barley any driving skills in general does not get any punishment. At least put him in timeout or something...

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Big Mac

Quote from: "MommaSquid"
QuotePLAIN CITY, Utah - Police in Utah say a 7-year-old boy led officers on a car chase in an effort to avoid going to church.

Dispatchers received reports of a child driving recklessly on Sunday morning. Weber County Sheriff's Capt. Klint Anderson says one witness said the boy drove through a stop sign.

Anderson says two deputies caught up with the boy and tried unsuccessfully to stop the Dodge Intrepid in an area about 45 miles north of Salt Lake City. The car reached 40 mph  before the boy stopped in a driveway and ran inside a home.

Anderson says when the boy's father later confronted him, the boy said he didn't want to go to church. The boy is too young to prosecute and no citations were issued, although police did urge the father to make his car keys more inaccessible to children.

Link

I'm confused about the "too young to prosecute" statement.  Don't children get charged with crimes every day in this country?  Do traffic laws somehow not apply to children?    :hmm:

In the state of Texas makes it to where until your roughly 7 you are not accountable for your crimes.

Case in piont: growing up in my house was dichotomy of order and chaos (and even then it wasn't always mutually exclusive) and I used to lash out in Kindergarten quite a bit. I once knocked over a lot of trashcans for no apparent reason, flicked off the owner and a teacher (who was driving by to take care of some lesson plans or something) and said (in a kiddie voice), "Fuck off, faggots!" and basically fled the scene. Well I was too young to realize that Cars>Humans on speed so the police were knocking at my door in roughly 15 minutes. Was I charged with anything? Nope, my mom explained that the cops said that since I was so young (roughly 5 or 6) I was completely incapable of cohesive thought to actually be held accountable for my actions. Apparently even after age 7, most kids are rarely charged until they reach roughly 15 or so. Kids really don't understand the consequences until they are older. I agree with that. I barely remember most of my scrapes with the law as a child (I had a few more that are hazy, mostly involving some sort of violence that was funny now that I think about it) and I would never pull the crap I did as a kid now that I'm an adult.

I strongly believe in helping troubled kids when they're young. It's a scary world to be in when no one will take the time to hear you out. I can see why kids lash out in such dangerous ways. It's like venting something so you don't explode. Imagine not having sex for 10 years, but then translate it to a child (no sex, hopefully). It produces some really odd things, eh?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

disposablechild

I wish i could be his age. Untouchable by the law. awesome. its also interesting that it seems like he was being forced to go to church. he did drive 45 miles to get away. ....

p.s. is it inappropriate to make an altar boy joke here?

shanster

hehe if this kid was my child I'd be like high five, although my kid wouldn't be going to church anyways so it doesnt matter...

i did something like that when i was younger, (no I didnt steal a car, i wasnt that cool), i did run away when everyone was leaving to go to church and i ran all the way to the grocery store about 2 miles away. Then when my foster parents came looking for me  i hid behind the magazine rack but the damn store owner ratted me out and i got grounded for a month.  Oh yea btw, they didnt even bother to come get me until after church. I guess Jesus mattered more to them then their foster kid, eh that's what you get for not being the biological child lmao
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"