40th anniversary of Apollo 11

Started by JillSwift, July 16, 2009, 06:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JillSwift

Science flies you to the moon!

[youtube:scocl6xg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_mTgkGSZk[/youtube:scocl6xg]
[size=50]Teleology]

joeactor

Thanks for the post, Jill - awesome stuff!

I was in gradeschool at the time.
We got to watch a couple of the landings in class.

Un-freaking-believable!
JoeActor

Tom62

Truly awesome stuff. It is amazing how they managed to pull that off, considering the fact they got all the way to the moon and back controlled by a computer that was less powerful than my iPod (for some interesting info about the computer used on board of Apollo 11 see http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/computer.htm).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

FAKE!!!  

It was all done on a movie set.  :)

Also, this photo stinks, cuz it was taken with a camera phone!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

Nice model - I had the Lunar Lander one (long since gone...)

JillSwift

Quote from: "McQ"FAKE!!!  

It was all done on a movie set.  :P

Here are some recent images of the landing sites taken by the LRO.
[size=50]Teleology]

curiosityandthecat

Wow, this is all very phallic.  ;)
-Curio

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Wow, this is all very phallic.  roflol
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "JillSwift"
Quote from: "McQ"FAKE!!!  

It was all done on a movie set.  :P

Here are some recent images of the landing sites taken by the LRO.

Those are sweet pics. Finally, we can see details in the landing sites! Thanks for sharing these, Jill.
--Penn Jillette

SSY

I really hope there aren't people who beleive in god but think the Moon landings were fake, that would be insane.Nice LRO pictures.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

karadan

Quote from: "SSY"I really hope there aren't people who beleive in god but think the Moon landings were fake, that would be insane.Nice LRO pictures.

There are, unfortunately...

I've been giddy with excitement for the last seven days :) British TV has been celebrating the Moon landings with a string of superb TV programmes. I've been so nostalgic - even though i wasn't alive when they landed. I guess my dads enthusiasm for the Apollo programme rubbed off on me when i was little. He watched the launch of Apollo 13 from Cape Kennedy and ever since then, has been nuts for space.

I just hope the space programme does something like that again within my lifetime. Will be amazing to see them go to Mars.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Fallen Jedii

I really hope they go to the moon again in 2020. I'm only sixteen and I obviously wasn't around to see any of the moon landings. Space is just so amazing to me. I mean, can you imagine what the future will be like? I would give anything to live on the moon, or Mars. I just love the idea of living on other planets and making use of the galaxy. The possibilities are endless.

I really hope that space exploration becomes more and more frequent in the next decade. I think that people should pay more attention to it. The future of our race depends on everything in space. So we better start getting used to travel and landings now, in my opinion.

PipeBox

I'm posting in here far too late, but I didn't even visit this forum on "Apollo Week".  My father really, really loved the moon landings, and some of his nostalgia and wonder rubbed off on me.  I wish I could have been there to feel the ground shake.  It must have been incredible.  It is incredible, in many ways it was mankind at his best, despite it coming out of a space race between the US and Russia.  There's a sort of majesty to the Saturn V, and man landing on the moon, and an astonishing ingenuity seen in the details.  For anyone who hasn't watched the high speed cams from Apollo 11, I highly recommend the following.  On the other hand, if you have seen them, you can always be amazed again.

[youtube:2wd94xhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXtG3vfAlA[/youtube:2wd94xhs]

If you'll permit me some poetic license, man's desire is in the stars, so this was like going home, even if we couldn't stay very long.  
Space exploration and expansion need to become a priority, not again, but for the first time.  The space agencies do so much with far too little.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

karadan

Quote from: "PipeBox"If you'll permit me some poetic license, man's desire is in the stars, so this was like going home, even if we couldn't stay very long.  
Space exploration and expansion need to become a priority, not again, but for the first time.  The space agencies do so much with far too little.

:hail:

I couldn't have put it better myself.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.