News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Adultry/Fornication Illegal in South Carolina

Started by Whitney, June 24, 2009, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

QuoteSECTION 16-15-60. Adultery or fornication.

Any man or woman who shall be guilty of the crime of adultery or fornication shall be liable to indictment and, on conviction, shall be severally punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than one year or by both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.

SECTION 16-15-70. "Adultery" defined.

"Adultery" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman when either is lawfully married to some other person.

SECTION 16-15-80. "Fornication" defined.

"Fornication" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman, both being unmarried.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/CODE/t16c015.htm

Why is stuff like this still in laws?  Maybe each state should take the time every 50 years or so to check their books for outdated laws.

Tanker

There are some seriously backwards sexual laws out there

I know that according to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) It's illeagal to have sex any way except missionary for any member of any branch of the military. Also while I don't condone sleeping with anothers spouse I do believe that it's an adult decision between adults, the military has some extreme punishments for sleeping with a married woman very extreme.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

McQ

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

Bet the Governor of SC won't be held to that law, though.  Love the deliciousness of his predicament.  Like no one would find out he wasn't just solo hiking?  Geez.

If they voted on those laws today, they'd still pass... or at least I'd put money on them passing.  At least in SC and other southern states.  And the non-southern states wouldn't bat an eyelash (except for atheists, I'm sure).  I have very little faith in today's American society to think with something other than their bibles.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

thiolsulfate

McQ

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"Oh the South -- will they never learn?

Yeah, really. You'd think after "we" beat them into submission way back when they'd learn their collective lesson, but Noooooooooo....they gotta have this stuff still on the books!

:D

They ought to just Tar and Feather that dipstick governor. That'll learn him!
--Penn Jillette

Sophus

And the purpose of this law is to protect what rights?

Seems like it would be awkward to enforce.  :shock:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

Let's make coveting a neighbor's wife illegal too, while we're at it! And legally require you to honor your parents!  :crazy:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

JillSwift

Quote from: "Will"Let's make coveting a neighbor's wife illegal too, while we're at it! And legally require you to honor your parents!  :sigh:
[size=50]Teleology]

Heretical Rants

^
|
My family still eats fish on Friday. :crazy:  :crazy:

...something about your vulnerability while you're asleep I think.

While we're on the subject, why does an indecent exposure charge now qualify you as a sex offender?

:hissyfit:

thiolsulfate

I hope that they prosecute someone under these ridiculous laws. Maybe South Carolinians will finally smarten up (ha, yeah right) and pull the damn bible out of their law books.

rlrose328

Joe told me once that if I'm walking around our house naked and I walk in front of a window with the curtains open and someone sees me from outside, they could call the police and have me charged with indecent exposure... I never looked to see if it's true, but I think it's BS.  If I'm in my house naked and someone looks into MY house through MY window, how on earth can I be arrested?!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Heretical Rants

^^^ not only arrested, but registered as a sex offender.

Whitney

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"^
While we're on the subject, why does an indecent exposure charge now qualify you as a sex offender?

Thought crime...the indecent exposure lead to the mental rape of others by making them think nasty thoughts.   :monkey:

McQ

Quote from: "rlrose328"Joe told me once that if I'm walking around our house naked and I walk in front of a window with the curtains open and someone sees me from outside, they could call the police and have me charged with indecent exposure... I never looked to see if it's true, but I think it's BS.  If I'm in my house naked and someone looks into MY house through MY window, how on earth can I be arrested?!

I think it all depends on how good looking the naked person is. I mean, come on...if it's Daniel Craig, or Brooke Burke, who's gonna complain?  :D  Probably going to sell tickets for those two!
--Penn Jillette