News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Greetings from Holland (Europe)

Started by Sir_Nuttingham, January 24, 2007, 08:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir_Nuttingham

Hello,

I'm Carl. I have been reading around on this site and I find it interesting to hear how people came to their atheist belief. I would call myself an atheist also. Unlike a lot of you I have noticed, I did not grow up (or am not growing up, as I am only 17 years old) in a religious environment.

My parents are both officially catholic, but both non-practising (my dad being a scientist). I am glad to have the parents I have, because they decided not to baptize me. Their motivation was that when I would be old enough, I could create my own opinion on life and religion and decide for myself to get involved in a religion or not. My parents also gave me a broad and open atitude and I, being multiracial by the way, therefor have respect for everyone's belief and religion, as long as they don't bother me or other people that don't want to be bothered with it.

Besides my family situation, the people around me (at school, sport, whatever..) never encouraged me into religion. (The Netherlands is a very atheist country) So being given the space to think freely I concluded (probably when I was about 6 years old) that there simply isn't a god. Therefor I don't hate god, because there's simply no god to hate. I do find religion by far the worst motivation to start a war or a fight, but of course a great starting point for a discussion.

Last of al, I have lived in Wisconsin for 3 years. There I attended elementary school for three years. I remember being fairly surprised that after revealing my 9 year old classmates that I didn't believe in god, they told me I would go to hell en was better of to start believing as soon as possible. (other than that I had a great time in the U.S)

I hope to find some time to participate in discussion! Greetings.

joeactor

Welcome Carl,

Your parents (and country) sound great.

Very healthy attitude to provide offspring with the information and allow them to decide for themselves.

See you on the forums,
  JoeActor

McQ

Hello Carl, and welcome!

Thanks for letting us get some insight into your background. Your parents did a very wise thing with the decision to let you figure things out on your own and giving you room to make up your own mind in life. Very cool.

Every time I read or hear something about the Netherlands, it makes me want to visit and stay a while. Don't get me wrong. I love the USA, and think it's a great country. I am very impressed with all I have learned about your country though.

Anyway, welcome and kick off your shoes and stay a bit!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

Welkom op dit forum, Carl,

Groetjes,

Tom.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

ImpaledSkier

I have a feeling that a move across the pond is somewhere in my future...

Thanks for the introduction, Carl.
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

Sir_Nuttingham

Thanks for the welcome! (Tom, Nederlanders zijn toch weer overal he)

I think it's pretty cool that people on this forum seem very open to views of outside the U.S and outside their own interpretations of world issues and American issues (unlike a lot of other Americans). I might also get sight on different views or angles on problems in the world by reading mostly American opinions here!

ImpaledSkier

Just for the record, even though it may have an American flag under my name, I was born and lived in Canada for 8.5 years...so you got a Canadian too...!
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

Whitney

Hey, Sir....welcome to the forum.