News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Is hypnosis science or pseudoscience?

Started by Whitney, June 20, 2009, 01:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I am wanting educated opinions on if there is any validity to hypnosis and its ability to cause changes in people.  Does it classify as a valid science, is it pseudoscience, or is it just bs?  My husband calls it brainwashing...I can see why he calls it that...but it would be brainwashing by choice if the suggestions were what you wanted.  Along these same lines, is there any benefit to self hypnosis?

I've found it difficult to get much of a straight answer researching online.  I have found some self-hypnosis recordings beneficial for help falling asleep...but that might just be because they sound soothing.  So, it has gotten me curious about what they really can and can't do.

joeactor

Hey Whit,

I'd put it into the psychology arena (is that science?)

I've been through "Guided Imagery", "Biofeedback", and "Hypnosis".
There are quite a few parallels between the three.

All require the subject's cooperation.

Biofeedback gave me the most tangible results (got me off of meds for IBS).
It's also the one with the most potential for being studied scientifically.
The others have helped me with career focus, and relaxation.

In the end, they're just tools.  What works for me may not for someone else.

YMMV,
JoeActor

curiosityandthecat

I've never been hypnotized, but I know people who have. It's a completely voluntary thing. There's absolutely nothing you won't do after hypnosis that you wouldn't do before. So, I look at it like... being drunk. A hypnotized person's actions are just those an unhyptonized person would still do, just maybe lacks the willpower or drive to do.

Aside from that, who knows.  :D

(So, yeah, I'm with Joe.)
-Curio

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I've never been hypnotized

You know what?  I don't believe you.

It might be better to say you've never been formally hypnotized by a "professional."
All hypnosis is self hypnosis.

The easiest form of hypnosis for me to obtain is intense focus.  While reading I usually selectively ignore all input except what for the story.  If I am injured, the pain goes away for a while.  If someone tries to tell me something, I probably won't hear them.  I'll also perceive time in a similar manner to sleep.  This also happens to me when I perform repetitive tasks, such as whittling.  I can get complacent, and end up cutting myself.

You can use this as a gateway to increased suggestibility.

According to this article, many church leaders are also hypnotists.  The suggestions they give are, of course, spiritual in nature (for example, "you're going to hell!").

Conversion, as described in the article, isn't quite the same as regular hypnosis, though.  It's more like systematically breaking people down.  So yeah, these last two paragraphs are pretty off-topic.

Sophus

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"

It might be better to say you've never been formally hypnotized by a "professional."
All hypnosis is self hypnosis.

The easiest form of hypnosis for me to obtain is intense focus.  While reading I usually selectively ignore all input except what for the story.  If I am injured, the pain goes away for a while.  If someone tries to tell me something, I probably won't hear them.  I'll also perceive time in a similar manner to sleep.  This also happens to me when I perform repetitive tasks, such as whittling.  I can get complacent, and end up cutting myself.

Very well put. If you've ever cut the grass, or been to the cinema you have probably been hypnotized.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

thiolsulfate

There's something called Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) that can influence very minor behaviors and immediate decisions. What studies have been done have concluded that there is little to no substantial evidence that NLP can create drastic long term changes in an individual. There's a mentalist named Derren Brown who uses NLP and simple magic tricks to get people to behave in strange ways. You can find some of his stuff on youtube. He's amazing, a total skeptic, a debunker, an atheist and an incredible entertainer. He explains some of his tricks and it's really revealing about how vulnerable our brains are to even the simplest suggestions. You'd probably like him.

Sophus

Thank you thiolsulfate! That is absolutely fascinating.  :hail:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Heretical Rants

QuoteDerren Brown

This is my favorite one by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TURhK90_8
I tried it on my dad and it worked. :P
I think it's really just the same as when you lose things, except instead of setting something down and wandering off, you hand it over without really thinking about it.
Here's the full version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4y5iX4 ... re=related

Actually, I like all the ones related to theft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25qV5RO-nU
The scary thing is, some real pickpockets actually are that good.

OOO, and the ones that show how unaware most people are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1aEqBaK3aM

This one is ESPECIALLY funny.

thiolsulfate

Derren Brown the Seance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXQTBUCpYw&feature=fvst

There's part one. The rest can be found on Youtube.

It is equal parts scary and hilarious, not the show, however. The show itself is vastly entertaining and the reveals are equally insightful. The scary/funny parts are the call-ins. Nearly every show he does begins with him conceding that everything he does are mind tricks. There is no real breaking the fundamental laws of science or reality but that does not stop people being ridiculous. The original was filmed live and had viewers call in to the show to leave comments about weird things that happen to them while in their home totally separated from the "haunted" building being filmed in.

[spoiler:vl9xesfq]There was a guy who called in and said that he saw his dead mother. I couldn't stop myself from saying, aloud, "oh don't be stupid."[/spoiler:vl9xesfq]

Darren Brown is amazing. If you can find his stuff, you should watch it. It's a wonderful trip into the vulnerability of our minds.

Oh another interesting about Derren Brown's shows is that nothing is unintentional. Everything has a purpose. Every flicker, every gesture is calculated. For me it's fun to figure out what he's getting at before he actually does it. I always watch twice, one to experience it, two to break it down.

Also This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ02I6Qy ... &index=17#

Derren Brown: Messiah

Absolutely fantastic. YOU MUST WATCH THIS!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"

That's what I was referring to.
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"Hey Whit,

I'd put it into the psychology arena (is that science?)

I've been through "Guided Imagery", "Biofeedback", and "Hypnosis".
There are quite a few parallels between the three.

All require the subject's cooperation.

Biofeedback gave me the most tangible results (got me off of meds for IBS).
It's also the one with the most potential for being studied scientifically.
The others have helped me with career focus, and relaxation.

In the end, they're just tools.  What works for me may not for someone else.

YMMV,
JoeActor

So, there must be some science stuff going on in these processes somewhere, right? Surely It is quantifiable by some kind of scientific standard.

I've seen hypnosis done to my sister. It was certainly rather compelling.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

joeactor

Quote from: "karadan"So, there must be some science stuff going on in these processes somewhere, right? Surely It is quantifiable by some kind of scientific standard.

Sure.  Plenty of studies are out there, I'm sure.

It's easier to get consistent results when there are measurable factors.  Biofeedback has a number of documented effects.

I've been able to alter my heart rate, blood pressure, pulse height, body temperature and more.  All while being monitored.

cool stuff,
JoeActor

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "karadan"So, there must be some science stuff going on in these processes somewhere, right? Surely It is quantifiable by some kind of scientific standard.

I've been able to alter my heart rate, blood pressure, pulse height, body temperature and more.  All while being monitored.

cool stuff,
JoeActor

Are you sure you're human, Joe?  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

joeactor

Quote from: "karadan"Are you sure you're human, Joe?  :livelong:

You'll have to ask the guys in the biolab - I've lost track of the mods...

Heretical Rants

Further evidence that hypnotic suggestion has tangible results:

:D