News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Future Generations

Started by and2premiere, June 10, 2009, 02:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

and2premiere

Hey all,

I wanted to run something by real quick to get your opinions.

I'm thinking about putting some posters up around my town that read: Telling you're children they're going to hell because they don't believe in God is child abuse (subject to change).

Does anybody have any opinions or advice? Can anyone help me out with any legal issues i might run into?

Thanks.

Whitney

While I don't know of any legal issues (other than making sure they are posted in places that allow you to post things), I do wonder if the point of that message would reach those it is directed at.  While I think that "putting the fear of hell" into a young child is a form of mental abuse, many believers think that doing exactly that is good parenting.  Basically, I'm concerned you would piss off a lot of people and they still wouldn't understand what you meant.

and2premiere

Quote from: "Whitney"While I don't know of any legal issues (other than making sure they are posted in places that allow you to post things), I do wonder if the point of that message would reach those it is directed at.  While I think that "putting the fear of hell" into a young child is a form of mental abuse, many believers think that doing exactly that is good parenting.  Basically, I'm concerned you would piss off a lot of people and they still wouldn't understand what you meant.

any idea how to get the message across any better?

i just don't think some people understand what they're doing. But, I understand your point.

Whitney

Quote from: "and2premiere"any idea how to get the message across any better?

I'm not sure...it almost seems like something you'd have to write a book about yet at the same time 'trick' them into reading.  It's one of those topics that can get very complex.

Hmm...maybe a poster of a very small child that looks confused and is crying saying "You tell me god loves me but why does he want my friends to burn in hell?" and behind the child show some multicultural children to represent other religions.

and2premiere

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "and2premiere"any idea how to get the message across any better?

I'm not sure...it almost seems like something you'd have to write a book about yet at the same time 'trick' them into reading.  It's one of those topics that can get very complex.

Hmm...maybe a poster of a very small child that looks confused and is crying saying "You tell me god loves me but why does he want my friends to burn in hell?" and behind the child show some multicultural children to represent other religions.

lol i might have to give credit to you if I use that. I wonder why the child protective services don't get on that?

Whitney

Quote from: "and2premiere"lol i might have to give credit to you if I use that. I wonder why the child protective services don't get on that?

Thanks...finding the pictures for that is going to be hard unless you have a lot of friends with kids who would let you use them for a flyer like that.  Maybe you could get someone to draw up a good cartoon version.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Whitney"Maybe you could get someone to draw up a good cartoon version.
That kind of tension looks better in cartoon form, unless you can find world class child models...

and2premiere

i also added: They listened to their mommy and daddy, too.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "and2premiere"i also added: They listened to their mommy and daddy, too.
So the kid is saying, "You tell me god loves me, but why does he want my friends to burn in hell?  They listened to their mommy and daddy, too!" ?

and2premiere

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "and2premiere"i also added: They listened to their mommy and daddy, too.
So the kid is saying, "You tell me god loves me, but why does he want my friends to burn in hell?  They listened to their mommy and daddy, too!" ?

yea, but without the exclamation point...lol..what do you think?

i also want to add something about teaching hell to kids is also child abuse..that's the point of the poster..but the point whitney made made it a lot better and effective.

JillSwift

I wish I had something to add. I just want to say I love this idea and wish to encourage you.
[size=50]Teleology]

and2premiere

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XQWGF6T

if anybody has any other suggestions on how to post it online, please let me know.

Feel free to manipulate it that makes it more effective. You can repost it, and even use it in your community if you want.

Thanks.

and2premiere

i put the words of the girl in a balloon..so that it's clear that it's the girl talking

karadan

Just have a picture of a burning child with the slogan, Is this what you really want your kids to believe?

It could also include the line:

Just because that was how you were raised, doesn't mean you should torture your own kids the same way.

-------------------------------------------------------

I know, it is a bit fundie, but meh, had my coffee late this morning...  :coffee:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

thiolsulfate

On the legal front, no. You're fine. You're not doing anything wrong. Free speech laws will protect you if any idiot decides to waste the courts time you can depend on the FFRF and the ACLU and me to fly to your defense.

When I was in University there was a sudden rush of evangelists proselytizing at our school with varying degrees of failure: from basic non-success to magnificent failure. It got to the point where the Christian Clubs on campus petitioned for their removal.

During this time I made fliers with some of my friends. It was a drawing of a Bear with a child's arm poking out of its mouth. The text read "2 Kings 2:23-24 -- Enjoy."

The hope was to actually get people to READ THE BIBLE. Because nothing is as strong an argument against the Bible as the Bible.