News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

US Military and religion

Started by xxzjxx, June 05, 2009, 02:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxzjxx

I've recently come into contact with the direct effects of atheism not being supported by the US Military.

To be specific, I have a case which required attention from a psychologist, in my own mind.  In order to receive treatment from the source I wanted, I had to go to my medical department and explain to an individual who probably had no understanding of my mental needs.  In order to get to a doctor, I had to explain my needs to this E-2 Ranked Sailor, recent high school graduate, my issues.  After that, he advised the Lt who  was on duty at the time of my mental status.  The "doctor" explained to me that this should be brought up to my command's chaplain.  I then introduced myself as an atheist, and that going to a representative of god was not in my minds directive.

I was finally given recommendation to see a psychologist who was also wondering why I had not asked for unit chaplain support.

I'm not PTSD, but that should not matter.  I've been in the military for 9 years, I am of the rank of Staff Sergeant.

US Marine Corps

For one of Christianity in the Marines;  go to the Chaplain, receive ultimate protection from your command.  The Chaplain is not in the command chain of any unit, therefor going to this source renders the individual "ungodly" protection against the command he/she serves.

Kylyssa

and2premiere

yea, things like this make me wonder if this is the "In The Closet Crusades." I know no one would say it out right, but US (supposedly christian nation) vs. mid east (predom. muslim).

Tanker

I Know exactly what you man I had a similar issue when I got back from my first tour. I had some anger issues that were.... causing problems for me at work. I finaly asked my first line supervisor for help after a particularly bad incident (I wasn't know as an angry person so they decided to get me help rather then punish me). I got to go to an anger management course but also had to see the Chaplin who while not trying to be unhelpful, didn't really know how to help an atheist without bringing Mr. fix it, (god) into it. In fact he seemed at a loss for words for the first few minutes when I told him I was an Atheist and religious help was not what I wanted.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Jolly Sapper

Hehe.

Well the military likes to try to get every dollar's worth out of its people.  The Chaplin's are like the first line "therapist/counselor."  They can talk to you, maybe even make you feel like you've solved your problems, but they don't file any paperwork (and therefore no paper trail that a trooper could use later as evidence of psychological problems that could be used to help file a disability claim.)  Since its nothing official, if the leadership so chooses, it never really happened.