News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

And the Lord said...Bring your gun to church.

Started by Whitney, June 04, 2009, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

QuoteVALLEY STATION, KY (WAVE) - Church shootings have been in the headlines for the past few years, so when a local church announced that it is asking people to bring guns to church we wanted to know why.

Most people consider church a sanctuary, a place of peace. But recently, church shootings have been in the headlines. Last Sunday, Kansas abortion Dr. George Tiller was shot and killed while ushering at his church. In March, an Illinois pastor was killed and two parishioners injured after a gunman opened fire during Sunday services. In July 2008, a gunman killed two people at a church youth performance in Knoxville, Tennessee. Despite this news, Ken Pagano, pastor of New Bethel Church in Valley Station, is encouraging people to bring their guns to church on June 27.

"This is for anybody that believes in second amendment rights. And that is the buttress to first amendment rights," said Pagano.

Pagano, a concealed carry instructor who served in the Marine Corps, is holding what he calls an Open Carry Celebration.

"We're trying to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety," Pagano said.

People can come into the church wearing their gun as long as the weapon is unloaded and in a secure holster.

Full Text: http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=10473040

Sophus

It's always good to know that the followers of the Prince of Peace are packing heat.  lol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Jolly Sapper

I don't understand the "half way" on this issue.  If you're going to cart around firepower, why worry about keeping the chamber clear?  If you're expecting a firefight, you lock and load, if you're not expecting a firefight you leave your piece in the armory.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Jolly Sapper"I don't understand the "half way" on this issue.  If you're going to cart around firepower, why worry about keeping the chamber clear?  If you're expecting a firefight, you lock and load, if you're not expecting a firefight you leave your piece in the armory.
Spoken like a true hippie combat vet.  :D
-Curio

BadPoison

I don't get the "Leave your guns unloaded" part either. How are you promoting gun safety if you take away what makes it a gun (it's ability to destroy things.) Congratulations on showing people how to handle a gun that is already safe. Because that's some practical knowledge we could all use!

SSY

Just imagne the carnage if another church shooting happened, and then all the people there packing heat just started blazing away at anything that moves. Stupid people should not be allowed guns, the pastor advising unloaded guns obviously realises this.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Godschild

I believe this pastor is wrong,Jesus teaches us to turn the other cheeck when facing persecution.Do you all not care that christians are being murdered in their places of worship,surely you don't believe this kind of action is appropriate.

Whitney

Quote from: "Godschild"Do you all not care that christians are being murdered in their places of worship,surely you don't believe this kind of action is appropriate.

Godschild, what does our discussing the hilariousness of promoting bringing an unloaded gun to church have to do with us not caring about those how are murdered in church?

In Dallas, we had a shooter go into the local Unitarian Universalist Church and just start shooting. Many of us are more than aware of the tragedies related to improper gun use.  I'd be happy if weapons were never invented...but they were so we deal with it.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Godschild"Do you all not care that christians are being murdered in their places of worship,surely you don't believe this kind of action is appropriate.

Godschild, what does our discussing the hilariousness of promoting bringing an unloaded gun to church have to do with us not caring about those how are murdered in church?
DING! Next, please.
-Curio