News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Acquired Trait Passed Down to Offspring

Started by curiosityandthecat, May 27, 2009, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Thought a number of the sciencey-types here would find this interesting.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/glowing-monkeys-make-more-glowing-monkeys-the-old-fashioned-way/

QuoteThe first genetically modified primates that can pass their modifications to their offpsring have been created by Japanese scientists.

The marmosets, pictured above, express a green fluorescent protein in their skin. The gene for producing the glow was delivered to the first marmoset embryos via a modified virus. But now that modification method could become unnecessary. One male marmoset, number 666, fathered a child (pictured at right) that also contained the transgenes.

My first thought is... oh, great. The Christians are going to have a field day with this. Couldn't they have picked a different number for the father?  :blush:
-Curio

JillSwift

I must admit, I never expected the first serious genetic modifications of complex mammals would be aimed at making self-propelled night-lights.  :D
[size=50]Teleology]

SSY

I often loose my monkeys in the the night, this will prove to be very useful.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

PipeBox

Hah, glowing.  Lucifer, Latin for light.  Number 666.  Oh baby.  Those scientists have done it now.  The mark of the Beast.

But seriously, awesome.  I think genetic modification holds much promise for mankind, but I know how many people oppose it, their reason always being vague, not rooted in any particular ethic.  "There are just some things you don't do."  Some people just fear the future.  Not only its possible outcomes but all outcomes that aren't the same as the world we live in today.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Heretical Rants

Well, this is happening in Japan so I don't think the fundamentalists can do much about it :D