News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Facebook App: God wants you to know...

Started by Wendy, May 23, 2009, 03:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendy

My friend is deeply religious and I have noticed on my Facebook page that she has an application called "God wants you to know..." Every day it pops up to tell me what God is saying to my friend. Today it says,  "God wants her to know...
... that today is a big day for you.

Yes, today. Keep your eyes open for a message. It might come in a shape of a bird flying overhead, or a graffiti on a wall, or a phrase said by a passerby, or... Whatever shape it has, this message has been trying to reach you for years, and today is finally the day. Keep your senses open."

The icon next to the application is a close-up picture of a QUARTER where it says, "in God we trust."

What I want to know is...if god has an app on facebook...why does he have to use a quarter for his picture?

PipeBox

Wow, you finished that post entirely different from how I would have.  The whole time I was reading I was thinking of how remarkably similar to a horoscope it was.  And I'd give it just as much credit.  How vague and pointless.  Telling me directly what my message was, that'd at least have a personal feel that wouldn't make sense when said to a large group of people.  This, though, is not impressive.  In fact, I think the text constitutes a waste of bandwidth.  

And I guess it comes down to a smug display of how much we trust God -- that this should be his defining feature.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

SektionTen

I hate facebook. I don't have a single account on any of the social networking sites.

Which is a shame, because I've been trying to find an old friend from high school: "Tom McCandless" was his name. But he's a kantian-era sophist that doesn't believe in any of the Social networking sites either...

What luck.

Wendy

I'm sure my friend does not believe it really is "a message from god," at least I hope so anyway. I think you are right, PipeBox, she does use it like one would use a horoscope. But what she doesn't know is that anyone, including an atheist could be producing that app...I wonder if the producers/makers of apps make money...hmmm....

curiosityandthecat

Facebook is a plague. Those people should be culled.

That's why I use Twitter. I don't give a shit about pictures of peoples' BBQs or cats (sorry, Whit and Ky) or knowing which superhero they'd be or or if they're fans of Cheetos. I really, really, really don't care. I pay attention to status updates and nothing else.

Hence why I like Twitter.  :D
-Curio

Wendy

I do like Twitter so much more, but admit I let myself get sucked into the quizzes on Facebook.

SSY

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Facebook is a plague. Those people should be culled.

That's why I use Twitter. I don't give a shit about pictures of peoples' BBQs or cats (sorry, Whit and Ky) or knowing which superhero they'd be or or if they're fans of Cheetos. I really, really, really don't care. I pay attention to status updates and nothing else.

Hence why I like Twitter.  :D

But twitter offers no oppurtunity for creepy stalkerish behaviour, and is therefor, useless to me.

Sounded just like a horoscope to me as well.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick