News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

You are pulling my groin...

Started by Ninteen45, May 14, 2009, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninteen45

http://news.aol.com/article/baptist-sch ... ?icid=main

A Baptist school forbids kids to attend prom at other schools because having fun is somehow "evil." The boy in the article will be suspended and not allowed to attend graduation if he goes. What the f*ck gives anyone the right to dictate what you do elsewhere?
Now I can be re-gognizod!

PipeBox

Woah.  Having guns on campus was against my school's rules, but they didn't suspend me for going on hunting trips.   :blink:
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

jcm

Quote from: "Ninteen45"http://news.aol.com/article/baptist-school-prom/472206?icid=main

A Baptist school forbids kids to attend prom at other schools because having fun is somehow "evil." The boy in the article will be suspended and not allowed to attend graduation if he goes. What the f*ck gives anyone the right to dictate what you do elsewhere?

I've heard about this story, but he knew the rules and broke them. shouldn't have attended the school if he want to dance one day.

:rant:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

rlrose328

Quote from: "Ninteen45"http://news.aol.com/article/baptist-school-prom/472206?icid=main

The hubby and I were talking about this case yesterday.  It's messed up, sure... but if he signed on for that Baptist school and he's a Baptist, there are rules that apply and he needs to abide by them.  They warned him he'd be forbidden to attend his own prom and he did it anyway.

That's hubby's argument... I agree SOMEWHAT though I get hung up on the FRIGGIN' IDIOTS element.  Diversity be damned.  Acceptance be damned.  You are unclean if you go to that secular prom!    WTF!?! :borg:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

PipeBox

OK, if it was part of some contract, then I suppose they've got him by the balls (not to pun the thread name).  If this is just reactionary, then I continue to object.

Though maybe, just maybe he'll get socially ostracized right out of his church.  Well, OK, that's almost certain.  But maybe he won't end up in the another church in the nutter end of the spectrum.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Whitney

Why did he even tell his school his plans?  If he had never told them anything about it they couldn't have told him no.

Still, I don't think any school has the right to dictate what a student does when off campus.  I doubt he knew this was going to be an issue when he stared going to school there.

He's also really stupid to risk suspension his senior year just to go to a prom.  I'm not sure how that would affect his graduation unless he could just quickly transfer to public schools simply to graduate.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "rlrose328"The hubby and I were talking about this case yesterday.  It's messed up, sure... but if he signed on for that Baptist school and he's a Baptist, there are rules that apply and he needs to abide by them.  They warned him he'd be forbidden to attend his own prom and he did it anyway.

That's hubby's argument... I agree SOMEWHAT though I get hung up on the FRIGGIN' IDIOTS element.  Diversity be damned.  Acceptance be damned.  You are unclean if you go to that secular prom!    WTF!?! :borg:

The only problem with that is that parents, not children decide which school a child will attend.

Will

Wait, they're pulling your what now?  :confused:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Hat

@ Your Title
Hahaha, That's gotta hurt D:

@ The News Thing
I Lol'd. The guy signed a thing when he started the year there. Either he didn't read it fully or wasn't told these things.
But yeah, Whitney has a point, why did he tell the school his plans? To be a rebel or something? To see if he could get away with it?
This whole situation is a two edged knife; Sure, the guy's stupid to risk his dimploma for a prom...but on the other hand, the school's a wee bit tight trying to control what their students do off campus. That's just not fair D:

karadan

Well, that is what happens when you join a batshit crazy school like that.

I have no sympathy for him.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Lawless

The article says he had to get a signature from the principal before the other school would let him come to the prom; I guess that is how they knew.

I hope things work out for him.

Whitney

Well, if he had to sign an agreement at the beginning of the school year then I don't feel sorry for him at all.  While he may not have been able to choose what school his parents sent him to he could have chosen not to sign that agreement.  After all, Seniors in high school are 18 or are going to turn 18 that year...they should be able to make adult decisions.  I'm guessing that he didn't read it or for some odd reason didn't think they would enforce an agreement they were bothering to make people sign.

Kylyssa

Kids have a lot of faith and trust in adults.  This seems like such a draconian policy that people might find it unbelievable that it's enforced.  In Michigan, I believe it's still illegal for unmarried persons of opposite sexes to live together - but no one expects anyone to enforce it.