News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The Narnia Code

Started by Jools_86, April 17, 2009, 11:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jools_86

Hello everyone, first post on here.

Did anyone see the Narnia Code on the BBC?
It basically explained the secret underlining back story to his books and how they have cosmic and religious meaning.
The whole concept was all very nice and harmless but towards the end of the program they start to talk about CS Lewis' belief that the cosmos and our existence has meaning and that science merely explains things in a literal sense. This was why he hid these hidden meaning in the 7 books, to try and give meaning to the universe because he felt the earth was brutal and the universe was empty.
I was almost grinding my teeth when watching these so called christian scientists towards the end of the documentary who proclaimed that despite science telling us that the universe is made up of elements and gases, there is more to them then just chemical descriptions and that there is some fantastical and super natural meaning to them.
The problem is, Lewis had fought in WW1, he had endured the death of his mother at an early age and he was educated by an old atheist who's view was that everything was literal and that the universe was barren. So he felt there was no point to life and like former atheists like Kirk Cameron (a crap example), he looked for comfort and meaning to life and to forgive himself for a somewhat unforgiving life, as he put it. It just angered me slightly that these literacy scholars were professing at the end all this as if Lewis was right. When all Lewis did was get away from the brutal truth because his weak human mind couldn't handle the realistic truth. The world IS made up of all these elements and it is not for some supernatural reason. Like Dawkins said (not the complete quote): 'Just because we unravel a rainbow, it does not make it less wonderful'

curiosityandthecat

Didn't see it, but it sounds interesting. The Narnia movies suck.  :pop:
-Curio