News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

War on Christimas

Started by Whitney, December 16, 2006, 11:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

The Rational Response Squad is, of course, at it again.  Only, instead of supporting a "war" on Easter they are not continuing what was a false "war" on Christmas claim by the media.  Imo, this sort of tactic for getting people to listen to the rational side of things is not only childish but completely unproductive.

http://www.endchristmas.com/

Amor Fati

Even if i were christian, the holiday of christmas would still piss me off.  
As a holiday, it wasn't celebrated until the middle ages, and only then as the Pope's response to growing fears of pegans (the winter solstice being a big party for pegans).  Additionally, if i remember correctlly, environmental descriptions of Jesus's birth point to a spring birth, not winter (from the history channel Christmas Special, lol).  The whole thing is a scam from the beginning.  

Down with Christmas!

Tom62

I "hate" Christmas too. Every time the same stress of thousands of people cluttering the streets and shops to buy presents; hundreds of charity organisations trying to rob me of my last cents; huge meals that takes you months of excercise to recover from; more people commiting suicide than in the whole rest of the year;hypocrites visiting "their" churches for the first and last time in the year;incredible kitchy lights and decorations (the street I live in uses up more electricity in one day than a country like Romenia in a whole year); stupid songs that are repeated endlessly and makes you want to vomit (like "Last Christmas" of Wham); the same old crappy, kitchy Santa Claus and other Christmas movies that you've seen already hundreds of times before on TV being shown again on TV; etc. etc.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Court

Okay, I like Christmas, I just hate the "Christ" part of it. But we eat good food, hang out with family, give and get presents (I LOVE buying presents for people) and almost never does religion get brought up in my own house. My parents have traditionally gone to a Christmas Eve service (It's only half and hour, but I probably won't go this year--they may also forgo it since they know my brother isn't Christian), but other than that, Christmas is sans Jesus. So I like it.

I have a Catholic friend who thinks my "loss of faith" is very sad (He also said Christmas being just a family holiday in my family is sad, which I found depressing. What could be more important in life than family--even if they drive you crazy?) Anyhow, he hates Christmas because it's been raped by consumerism. It's not even a religious holiday anymore.

As a solution, to give Christmas back it's religiosity, we should go along the path we're on. Most retailers don't depict religious figures and many don't even use the word "Christmas" as policy. I think that's great for everyone. That way, the consumer frenzy, the commercial nightmare, will not be "Christmas"--It'll just be the holidays, sans Christian connotations. Everybody wins.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Whitney

I just think the rational response squad's approach to this whole Christmas thing is unproductive...a blasphemy challange?  Christians aren't going to understand the purpose of that...I'm not really sure what purpose it has other than showing how many people are sure enough that Christianity is false to take the challange.

What does need to go is allowing the White House to have a Christmas concert...and not just one with santa and elves but religious songs specifically related to only Christianity.  I can't remember where the financial backing for that program comes from, but I hope it's not our tax dollars.  There are so many secular holiday songs out there that they could just had easily made the show secular....which means they purposely didn't.

Big Mac

It's funny because me and a co-worker were talking today. He's a Christian, a rational one. Me and him have discussion regarding our rights being eroded, racism, religion, etc. And when I told him I was an atheist he at first thought I hated God and such but I calmly explained my position. I can't hate something I don't believe in, and I also asked if he hated Vishnu. He smiled and realized my point and then he asked about the "War on Christmas". I simply said that some Atheists are fundies like some Christians are fundies. He quickly caught on, and pointed out another co-worker who claims the bible "hates black people" and is rather aggressive about trying to deconvert everyone. I told my co-worker that this guy hurts us as a group and makes us look like a bunch of whack jobs who want to do bad things to all christians. He saw where I was coming from and it felt like a small victory. I didn't belittle his belief in Christ nor did I cater to his belief. I merely stated that we atheists seem aggressive regarding religion only (for the non-fundie ones) when it intermingles with government or when they try to legislate morality. My co-worker saw that as reasonable.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

McQ

Quote from: "Big Mac"It's funny because me and a co-worker were talking today. He's a Christian, a rational one. Me and him have discussion regarding our rights being eroded, racism, religion, etc. And when I told him I was an atheist he at first thought I hated God and such but I calmly explained my position. I can't hate something I don't believe in, and I also asked if he hated Vishnu. He smiled and realized my point and then he asked about the "War on Christmas". I simply said that some Atheists are fundies like some Christians are fundies. He quickly caught on, and pointed out another co-worker who claims the bible "hates black people" and is rather aggressive about trying to deconvert everyone. I told my co-worker that this guy hurts us as a group and makes us look like a bunch of whack jobs who want to do bad things to all christians. He saw where I was coming from and it felt like a small victory. I didn't belittle his belief in Christ nor did I cater to his belief. I merely stated that we atheists seem aggressive regarding religion only (for the non-fundie ones) when it intermingles with government or when they try to legislate morality. My co-worker saw that as reasonable.

Sounds like a very worthwhile exchange there. Good job!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Just goes to show that the loudest voice is often the easiest one to ignore and disregard.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Theist

I myself, even as a Christian don't like where Christmas has gotten to. It seems to get worse and more worse every year, the consumerism, the milling about trying to buy gifts for everyone. It's turned into a stressful thing, whereas it should be about spending time and relaxing with the family. It's sad to see, I think.

Tom62

I'm glad that this christmas my wife and I spent more time with each other than on presents and other consumerisms. We decided to donate all the money that we didn't spent on presents and fireworks to a good cause (helping orphans in Bulgaria).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Tom62"... We decided to donate all the money that we didn't spent on presents and fireworks to a good cause (helping orphans in Bulgaria).

That's great, Tom62.  I'm sure the charity appreciates your donation.

My husband and I don't buy each other gifts just because the calendar says to do so.  If we need or want something we try to work it into the budget.  This may not sound very romantic, but I’d rather he buy me something I want just because I want it and not because the calendar screams “consumerism”.

My niece and nephew get Christmas gifts from us, but I like sending them presents at any time of the year, so it’s not hard to play Santa for them.

A lot of my extended family expects gifts at Christmas, but I cut all the adults off my list except my parents.  My parents get gifts because I am grateful for all the times they sacrificed so that I could have things.  The other adults can get what they need for themselves, and I was growing tired of trading gift certificates with people.  What’s the point of me sending my brother a $50 gift certificate and receiving one in the same amount?  Why not just save the time, gas and trouble and just stop?  He wasn’t thrilled with the idea but there wasn’t much he could do about it.  I noticed he didn’t get all generous and send me a present just for the heck of it once I stopped sending him one every year.  Which one of us is the real Grinch?  

I enjoy the trappings of the holiday season…the lights, the tree, the music and food, gifts for children, etc.   After my son died, I wasn’t in the mood to celebrate holidays or life in general.  At least in some respects, I am starting to feel like my old self again.

Happy New Year, everybody!  I hope this year brings you peace, love and contentment.

rubbersoul

i still like christmas with the presents and all, and if not for the love of an imaginary friend, why not celebrate it for the love of family?