News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Hi there

Started by ACSlater, April 03, 2009, 05:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSlater

Just saying hello. Seems like many are welcome no matter their beliefs, so I thought I'd check out the many thoughts that are out there. I AM a believer and just wish to understand other viewpoints that are out there with people that do not wish to insult, but those that wish to discuss things in a civil way.

A recent billboard campaign promoting an atheist site has made its way to my city, and it reminded me of a curiosity I had growing up about what happens to make some turn away from a particular faith.

Unlike some people, I never had to deal with having a religion "force fed" to me. During my teen years, I got a chance to get away from my parent's religion and look into a relationship with God on my own. It was just a different experience I had. Instead of growing away from my faith, I had experiences that drew me closer.

Anyhow, that's just a small part of my story, but I didn't want to be rude and not share something about myself. Anyhow, just saying hello to everyone and if you find yourself reading this, feel free to respond. If you're a huge fan of music, you just found yourself a good friend. Hahaha.

Thanks

Ihateyoumike

Welcome ACSlater. I'm sure you'll find all the civil discussions you're looking for here, as long as you don't fall into that preaching trap.  :)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. thanks for the introduction. You'll find many different ypes of beliefs here, and people of many backgrounds, including devout catholics, former born-again christians, and those who never believed in a god.

Hopefully, we can learn more from one another on why people believe what they believe. I find that most christians (including myself then) have only a vague understanding of what it means to be atheist or agnostic.

So jump right in.  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

Welcome to the forum,  ACSlater.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

ACSlater

Thanks for all the kind welcomes.

And to "Ihateyoumike", I'm glad you dig the name. I was originally going to go for Corey "the Corey" Matthews, but it wouldn't fit. Haha.

curiosityandthecat

Dude, you're famous!

Welcome.
-Curio

ACSlater

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Dude, you're famous!

Welcome.

Haha. That is AWESOME! So, yeah, my name is kind of a big deal.

Whitney

Quote from: "ACSlater"A recent billboard campaign promoting an atheist site has made its way to my city, and it reminded me of a curiosity I had growing up about what happens to make some turn away from a particular faith.

Hi AC, welcome to HAF.

Should I also be saying  hi from a fellow DFW resident?

ACSlater

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "ACSlater"A recent billboard campaign promoting an atheist site has made its way to my city, and it reminded me of a curiosity I had growing up about what happens to make some turn away from a particular faith.

Hi AC, welcome to HAF.

Should I also be saying  hi from a fellow DFW resident?

Oh, how exciting! Hello fellow DFW resident!

So, I'm sure you know exactly what campaign I'm talking about. Hehe

SallyMutant

H O W D Y  !
( I may not believe in the trad deity but sometimes I believe Big Tex watches over us at the fair.)

:pop:
I too wondered if you were from FW/D when you mentioned the billboards. Wonder what other cities are getting the billboard campaign, if any?
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

ACSlater

Quote from: "SallyMutant"H O W D Y  !
( I may not believe in the trad deity but sometimes I believe Big Tex watches over us at the fair.)

:pop:
I too wondered if you were from FW/D when you mentioned the billboards. Wonder what other cities are getting the billboard campaign, if any?

Well, hello to you as well! The Big Tex comment tickled my funnies.

I know you don't believe in the deities, but would you believe in putting the 'D' first in D/FW? Hahaha. I know, I know...it would be impermissible. Nice to find some locals on here though. I'm not sure if there are any other cities getting that campaign. Maybe it's an exclusive thing for now. I'm not even sure if the "God" billboards are in any other city. I just don't know.

PipeBox

Always pleased to have some more diversity in here.  Welcome AC.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar