News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

American presidents on separation of church and state

Started by AlP, March 30, 2009, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

karadan

This guy continually impresses me. I just hope the comparison between Obama and Kennedy stays firmly with policy and not history.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Twiddler

I guess I've never really looked into Obama's thoughts on the separation of church and state but I must say that I'm very impressed with his sense and reason applied in this area.  It's good to see that the non-believers are being mentioned more and more.  We are about 15% anyways...

AlP

I was impressed by the forthright stance JFK took on separation of church and state compared to Barack Obama. JFK took them by the balls. Barack Obama was apologizing. That is what I took from the comparison.

Apology:
I must apologize for the short advert at the end of the Obama video. I didn't notice it when I posted. I investigated. I did not find it interesting. I am not a "yoist". I suggest it's not worth anyone's time investigating. Unless you like post-modernist bullshit.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Recusant

Kennedy was talking to what was essentially a hostile crowd.  A Catholic politician talking to a group of Protestant ministers.  He could not afford to pussy-foot around and was essentially making it very clear that he would not be taking directions from the Vatican.  Thus his assertive style. (I think that overall he was a more brash and less conciliatory speaker than Obama as well.)
Obama was talking to people that are pretty much on his side, and is explaining to them why it is that even though he agrees with their values, he will not always make decisions that they like.  So the difference in tone between the two speeches is understandable; it mostly  comes down to context. I think the values expressed are roughly equivalent, and admirable, though really all either of them are saying is "I support the 1st Amendment."

As for yoism, I actually found it kind of interesting, but it seems to basically be Spinoza's pantheism dressed up in 21st century clothes.  So, yeah, I'd have to agree that it's  "post-modernist bullshit."  A fairly classy line of bullshit, though.  
I think their "proof of yo" is a sort of dodge: Since normal humans will never be able to really grasp and understand either the quantum level of reality or the truly immense scale of  the universe, these somehow have a mystical (they call it yo) quality?  Maybe I'm missing something or did not properly understand their doctrine.  That must be it. ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken