News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

DM or MOND

Started by LARA, March 23, 2009, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

So, I'm bored, and I thought this would be better than cake vs. pie.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

curiosityandthecat

(Erm, can you define the parameters a bit more?  :blush: )
-Curio

LARA

With an attitude like that curiosity, you have no need for parameters.

Do you think dark matter (more heavy stuff around galaxies) or modified newtonian dynamics, alterations in the gravitational constant or relativistic effects on the gravitational constant are the explanation for the non-Keplerian faster-than-expected rotations of spiral galaxies first calculated by Louise Volder in 1959?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

PipeBox

Hard choice...
Dark matter demands lots of fluff around galaxies that we can't see, but calling out the gravitational constant...

I'm uncomfortable with either, me wants to see the cosmologists work it out then tell us what was wrong.  Bite my shiny metal ass.   :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar