News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

If in the beginning there is only god...

Started by toink33, December 07, 2006, 08:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toink33

If in the beginning there is only god, can he be intelligent? knowledgable? Of what? ( I think living things gain knowledge by interacting with the environment, it is also how we gain awareness and thought. )

Can he even be aware that there is only he?

Why would he need light? Is it dark when there exist only god?

If he created the universe, where did he put it? ( Since there is only god )

They say humans are made in his image, how did this image come about when there is only god? To what did he compare this image to call it his image?

Am I asking sensible questions?...

Tom62

These questions are only relevant if you assume that (a) god exists. Since I'm an atheist these questions don't have any meaning for me.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Quote from: "Tom62"These questions are only relevant if you assume that (a) god exists. Since I'm an atheist these questions don't have any meaning for me.

Ditto.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Ditto as well.  I don't even think someone who assumes a god exists could answer those without just making things up.

donkeyhoty

while the questions are irrelevant or meaningless to us, trying to answer them should lead you, toink33,  to disbelief.  As there is no logical answer to any of those questions, and there are no "good" answers either.

Also, ask yourself this question, If god created the universe why did he put life on only one insignificant planet and then choose to only communicate to a select few 2000+ years ago?

Like your questions there is no answer to this.  None of the theist rhetoric makes any sense.  The reason for this should be simple, unfortunately for most it is not, there is no god.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

toink33

Me too, that is why i put "If" into my questions.

I am trying to understand how christians' idea where in the beginning there is only god, how this is possible, how they can explain how when there is nothing, there is a god that can understand everthing.

I trying to understand christian idea of a beginning.

If as they say we are made from his image, does that mean god also have eyes, nose, ears, mouth, hands, feet?

If in the beginning, there is only god, what is there to see, smell, hear, eat, grasp, stand on? would it not be better for god to be a sphere or a cube?

toink33

It is because of questions like these that I come to believe there is no god.

toink33

It is sad, if people would only think more and question their god more.

Just this morning in tv, a woman was being interviewed,
she said "We follow our minister, whatever he said (or ask), he was send to us by god." ( my translation )
This woman probably give regular contribution to her church, she probably has little to support the education of her children, her minister instead own lands and mansions. They can't see they are being used.

Few days ago, a radio commentator asked everyone to pray to god and ask for strength to help the victims of bicol region which was hit by 3 calamities ( a volcanic event and 2 typhoons )
I wanted to yell at my radio at him, why if this god can give you strength not stop all these calamities before they can cause so much damage instead.

Whitney

Quote from: "toink33"Me too, that is why i put "If" into my questions.

I am trying to understand how christians' idea where in the beginning there is only god, how this is possible, how they can explain how when there is nothing, there is a god that can understand everthing.

I trying to understand christian idea of a beginning.

If as they say we are made from his image, does that mean god also have eyes, nose, ears, mouth, hands, feet?

If in the beginning, there is only god, what is there to see, smell, hear, eat, grasp, stand on? would it not be better for god to be a sphere or a cube?

I think this is where the saying "God works in mysterious ways" comes into play for the theist.  Somehow not knowing these things about their God is okay in their eyes while they don't seem to think it is okay to admit ignorance concerning origins...God gets a pass in that department.

[glow=red][Topic moved to:  http://www.happyatheistforum.com/viewto ... highlight=
so more Christians will see it...][/glow]

gellis

simple answer

in the beginning there was alot f tings. but certianly not a "god"

easytrak

we are made in God's image because we are conscious and he is consciousness.

MrE2Me

Well, that clears it right up!
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

McQ

Quote from: "easytrak"we are made in God's image because we are conscious and he is consciousness.

Well, at least some of us are conscious..... :roll:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kestrel

Quote from: "easytrak"we are made in God's image because we are conscious and he is consciousness.
Hi there easytrak.
Could you elaborate on your point? Thnx!
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

Whitney

Quote from: "Kestrel"
Hi there easytrak.
Could you elaborate on your point? Thnx!

Yes, please elaborate.  If consciousness is what in God's image means wouldn't that also include animals; or at least some animals other than just humans?