News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Jonas Brothers...wtf?

Started by Miss Anthrope, March 15, 2009, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Anthrope

So, last night I took my little sister and her friend to see that 3D Jonas Brothers movie. It was pretty painful, especially once my initial awe at the cool 3D effects (first 3D film I've seen, and I have to say the effect was more um, effective than I imagined). Anyway, I didn't know anything about the Jonas brothers aside from a few snippets I've picked up here and there, most notably their "purity rings". So I was pretty shocked during a scene in which they douse the audience with white foam from firehoses held from crotch level. Actually, that was the most entertaining part for me, not in a perverted way, just becasue I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A few hours ago I just found out that the new season of South Park has started, and I promptly went to the South Park website to catch the season premiere.
And how awesome is it that the episode lampooned the Jonas Brothers/Disney? What perfect freakin' timing, and the episode, of course, brought up the white foam, among other things. I highly recommend you check it out, it was great.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

seasonsofmadness

I work at a movie theatre that recently started showing that movie. My manager kept telling everyone that the theatre was going to be packed with girls coming to see it, we even extended the theatre hours just to fit in more showings of it. It turned out to be one of the biggest failures I've seen. Nobody goes to it, and all the employees are still laughing about it.

Miss Anthrope

Quote from: "seasonsofmadness"I work at a movie theatre that recently started showing that movie. My manager kept telling everyone that the theatre was going to be packed with girls coming to see it, we even extended the theatre hours just to fit in more showings of it. It turned out to be one of the biggest failures I've seen. Nobody goes to it, and all the employees are still laughing about it.

Yeah, I was surprised, there were probably only about 12 people in the theatre (including the three of us). Based on the portrayal of fan worship in the movie one would have expected the theatre to be packed. It was a pretty crappy movie even by teen idol/concert film standards. And they really aren't all that talented despite their admirable stage energy. The younger one can't sing to save his life, I think SImon Cowell would tear him apart.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

Rastelin

I saw the South Park episode. I chuckled my way through the whole thing. Tray Parker and Matt Stone really know how to hit the nail and drive it home :D
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Ihateyoumike

The only exposure I've had to these kids was a few weeks back when they were the musical guest on Saturday Night Live. They were in a couple of skits as well or I wouldn't have seen them, since I almost always skip the horrible music acts SNL books. The skits they were in were pretty funny, but they just basically stood around looking like emo teenagers.
But hey, if the teen girls like them, then more power to 'em.  :)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

keith2004

I saw this

South Park is always right on point with their social commentary
[size=150] Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous[/size]

Ihateyoumike

Watch Episode 1301 "The Ring"

Here's a link to watch the episode in question online. I had not seen it, so I went looking for it, and thought I'd share.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

curiosityandthecat

I've never actually seen the Jonas Brothers. Not once. I hear about them all the time on Craig Ferguson, and I heard on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me that they've optioned the rights to a film about a farting dog (...yeah, that's what I said.), but I know quite literally nothing about them aside from that.

Are they even real? Can we be absolutely certain it's not some sort of mass hallucination and by the grace of Pesci I just haven't drank the Kool Aid yet?
-Curio

Twiddler

I'm glad that the South Park episode is being watched by a lot of people as I felt they really nailed it, especially Mickey's rant (which much of this forum would like, a lot).

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Watch Episode 1301 "The Ring"

Here's a link to watch the episode in question online. I had not seen it, so I went looking for it, and thought I'd share.

:(  not available in England .. boo hoo
To those who are overly cautious, everything seems impossible.

4DeepThought2

I left Family Guy for South Park. There has never been an episode where I haven't laughed out loud. It is a shame most people view it as a show that involves only swearing and dirty mouths, as someone said above, it is spot on with social commentary.
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

Twiddler

Quote from: "4DeepThought2"I left Family Guy for South Park. There has never been an episode where I haven't laughed out loud. It is a shame most people view it as a show that involves only swearing and dirty mouths, as someone said above, it is spot on with social commentary.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I used to judge the show as a bad one simply because of what words they used and to what extent they did but it really is a brilliant show.  Although I will admit that I can still watch Family Guy, its just a different (less intellectual) type of humor.

4DeepThought2

Yes, well Family Guy is still funny, but not my favorite TV show anymore. One of my South Park favorites is the parody of Family Guy where they explain how Family Guy produces ideas for their show, supposedly manitees pick balls out of a tub that are labeled with different nouns. These nouns are then combined to form a plotline (I can't really remember exactly the manitee process, but it was something like that.) Priceless.
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

VanReal

I have never been able to watch more than an episode of South Park because of the annoying voices.  Man, it is bothersome.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

Quote from: "4DeepThought2"I left Family Guy for South Park. There has never been an episode where I haven't laughed out loud. It is a shame most people view it as a show that involves only swearing and dirty mouths, as someone said above, it is spot on with social commentary.

I watch both.

I wouldn't even know who the Jonas Brothers are if it were not for the South Park episode...now their making fun of the foam makes more sense (I originally thought they were just going over the top to make a humorous point).