News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Biochemists on the road to assembling new tissues

Started by LARA, March 06, 2009, 09:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

http://www.physorg.com/news155485366.html

This is a cool article on how a research team is learning to tag cells with DNA to allow them to assemble into microtissues.  Getting cells to organize has been kind of a problem with designing replacement tissues for bio-med applications according to the article, and this technique helps them get around that.  It's not growing a new arm in a lab jar just yet, but it might have great applications for growing new marrow, skin and other simple tissue types.

It just shows how close we are getting to really healing some of the terrible things that can happen to people, but frustrating because it's all still in the research stages.   Who knows what kind of advances our grandkids will see.  Personally though, I'm going to get really excited when they can inject my skin with cuttlefish chromatophores and I can download a YouTube video and play it on my forehead.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Will

Quote from: "LARA"http://www.physorg.com/news155485366.html

This is a cool article on how a research team is learning to tag cells with DNA to allow them to assemble into microtissues.  Getting cells to organize has been kind of a problem with designing replacement tissues for bio-med applications according to the article, and this technique helps them get around that.  It's not growing a new arm in a lab jar just yet, but it might have great applications for growing new marrow, skin and other simple tissue types.
This is a very important step in the direction of regrowing things as complex as limbs. Personally, I need an aorta, but things certainly don't have the stop there. Imagine you're diagnosed with lymphoma and having new lymph nodes grown and inserted in the span of a few weeks. Imagine replacing an over sized heart with a brand new heart without any waiting list.

Imagine growing new gray matter.
Quote from: "LARA"It just shows how close we are getting to really healing some of the terrible things that can happen to people, but frustrating because it's all still in the research stages.   Who knows what kind of advances our grandkids will see.  Personally though, I'm going to get really excited when they can inject my skin with cuttlefish chromatophores and I can download a podcast and play it on my forehead.
Hahaha... just another wonderful gift from our undersea brothers, the cuttlefish. Me? I want a cuttlefish mustache:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.