News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Godless morality

Started by winterbottom, May 06, 2008, 06:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humblesmurph

Quote from: "SSY"This lying seems no worse than my outrageously padded cod piece.

lol

philosoraptor

Quote from: "humblesmurph"I of know men who give the impression that they have more money than they actually have, or women who pretend to not size up every date as a potential husband.  I  have a buddy who has pretended to be into gay activism to get closer to some hot dude.  All in the game.

So does that mean you think most women are always sizing up dates as husband material?  I can't say I've ever done that on a date.  I was busy "sizing" up the potential of other things.  ;)
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "KebertX"Long story short, I perpetuated a huge lie about myself for several months, and it is simply painful.  When you have the compulsion to lie, even when it is much easier to tell the truth, you have a mental problem.
I think working in a death camp or an abattoir would be bad for your mental health.
This form of lying obviously isn't as extreme, but I still think is best avoided.
I thought our Buddhist friends might have had something to offer on why lying hurts the liar.

karadan

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Asmodean"Never intentionally misled any of my dates... No wonder I'm single  wtf?

All of my friends who are either married or in long term relationships trust each other enough to be independent. If they weren't, I'd never see any of my friends on their own.

:sigh:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

karadan

Quote from: "SSY"This lying seems no worse than my outrageously padded cod piece.

roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "philosoraptor"
Quote from: "humblesmurph"I of know men who give the impression that they have more money than they actually have, or women who pretend to not size up every date as a potential husband.  I  have a buddy who has pretended to be into gay activism to get closer to some hot dude.  All in the game.

So does that mean you think most women are always sizing up dates as husband material?  I can't say I've ever done that on a date.  I was busy "sizing" up the potential of other things.  :(

Off topic (though the topic is  silly) I guess internet dating solves all of these problems. One could give the ladies all pertinent info up front:  Name, age, penis size, occupation/income level, height, political affiliation, worldview, interests, and a recent full body picture.  I guess one would have to add whether they have kids and whether they want kids in the future. Oh, and of course what kind of relationship they do or don't want.  It seems so simple.  I wonder why more people don't do it?

Whitney

I never have had a problem with being openly not christian and dating...I even would say that I think I might be an atheist or perhaps a deist even before I knew exactly where I stood simply because it was a good way to weed out overly religious people.

The only drawback being open as a female is some of the "good christian men" think someone who is not a christian must be more likely to put out...they quickly found out that wasn't the case.  But this is a problem most women have to deal with anyway since so many guys think they are owed something for offering to take a woman on a date.

In most cases I didn't date the person long enough for the topic of religion to come up.  If they are so religious that it comes up on the first date either don't date them or give truth a try...maybe the right woman is simply pretending because she thinks guys will only date her if she is a christian; would be a pitty for you both to pass up getting to know each other over lies.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "Whitney"I never have had a problem with being openly not christian and dating...I even would say that I think I might be an atheist or perhaps a deist even before I knew exactly where I stood simply because it was a good way to weed out overly religious people.

The only drawback being open as a female is some of the "good christian men" think someone who is not a christian must be more likely to put out...they quickly found out that wasn't the case.  But this is a problem most women have to deal with anyway since so many guys think they are owed something for offering to take a woman on a date.

In most cases I didn't date the person long enough for the topic of religion to come up.  If they are so religious that it comes up on the first date either don't date them or give truth a try...maybe the right woman is simply pretending because she thinks guys will only date her if she is a christian; would be a pitty for you both to pass up getting to know each other over lies.

Wait, atheistic women aren't easier?  Damn.  I thought that if you took away religious guilt, ladies would be a little more free with their love.  Seriously though, I don't think that it is generally true that  men think that they are owed something for taking a woman out.  I've never had a buddy say, "I spent x amount of dollars and she didn't do so and so".  Sure those guys exist, but I'd bet there aren't as many of them as commonly assumed.

Most men I know who complain about not getting something have received mixed signals.  If two single people like each other, and are attracted to each other, why not have protected sex?  It's not so much that a man thinks he's owed something, as it is that he doesn't think the woman actually likes him.  A woman can say she likes you and that she's attracted to you.  A person can say anything.  The proof is in the pudding.

Side note, a work buddy of mine introduced me to "The Life of Brian". I still haven't seen it, but I understand it pokes fun at religion. Thinking he would be sympathetic, I told him about my troubles being an atheist and trying to date.  His response was--"Well, many women look at dates as future husbands and fathers.  I wouldn't blame them for rejecting you, I wouldn't want the mother of my child to be an atheist."   Shocked would be an understatement.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "humblesmurph"The proof is in the pudding.
I have no proof
Quote from: "humblesmurph"Side note, a work buddy of mine introduced me to "The Life of Brian". I still haven't seen it,
Just watch The Life of Brian and no further proof will be required.

Tank

Have you seen much Monty Python humour before? If not you may be on a steep learning curve  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Tank"Have you seen much Monty Python humour before? If not you may be on a steep learning curve
Such ignorance can be quickly cured by a slap in the face with a largish fish.

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Tank"Have you seen much Monty Python humour before? If not you may be on a steep learning curve
Such ignorance can be quickly cured by a slap in the face with a largish fish.

[youtube:217sttgl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s[/youtube:217sttgl]
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

humblesmurph

Quote from: "Tank"Have you seen much Monty Python humour before? If not you may be on a steep learning curve  :D

Wait, I take comedy very seriously.  It is such a fragile form of art, if one thing is off, the joke is lost.  Should I watch some other Monty Python before I dive into "Life of Brian"?  If so, which one(s)?

edit: the big fish was funny

Tank

Quote from: "humblesmurph"
Quote from: "Tank"Have you seen much Monty Python humour before? If not you may be on a steep learning curve  :D

Wait, I take comedy very seriously.  It is such a fragile form of art, if one thing is off, the joke is lost.  Should I watch some other Monty Python before I dive into "Life of Brian"?  If so, which one(s)?

edit: the big fish was funny

Life of Brian is as good as starting place as any to get into Python as it was created when their style had matured so some of the early experimental stuff which was a little indigestible has gone. Just dive in and start swimming!

Kylyssa

Quote from: "humblesmurph"Off topic (though the topic is  silly) I guess internet dating solves all of these problems. One could give the ladies all pertinent info up front:  Name, age, penis size, occupation/income level, height, political affiliation, worldview, interests, and a recent full body picture.  I guess one would have to add whether they have kids and whether they want kids in the future. Oh, and of course what kind of relationship they do or don't want.  It seems so simple.  I wonder why more people don't do it?

Great idea!  I might print off some "open for business" cards myself.  Of course I don't have a penis, though.  And I'd rather know if you give oral than how big your penis is.