how does a free-thinker survive in the bible-belt?

Started by teyla, February 16, 2009, 03:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teyla

Hi, I am 15 years old and live in Arkansas.
I am very scared to share any of my opinions were i live, everyone carries a bible and I don't know anyone who doesn't go to church (besides me).
I have very different views compared to all my other peer's.
I've heard my peer's talk about Atheist's like they are the devil incarnate.
Even with all this i wont to share my opinions and idea's, without persecution.   :brick:
So i thought i would ask you all, how do i express my opinions without people thinking I am evil?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

[size=50]buddha[/size]

AlP

Hi Teyla.

It's more difficult for an atheist to talk about their beliefs and non-beliefs living in America than some other places like, for example, the UK (where I'm from) or France. In the UK most people are atheists and you can pretty much talk freely about the subject. Now I live in America. Even in California, I've found it best not to talk about atheism. Some people get all upset.

You're not alone! Welcome.

When I want to talk about things atheistic, I use forums like this. There are also atheist, humanist and skeptic groups that meet in various places around the world. There might be one near you. But if you're 15, joining such a group might not be an option.

Anyway don't worry if some people don't accept your ideas. There are plenty of people who do, even if they're far away.

How did you come to be an atheist?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

curiosityandthecat

First, make sure you've got the best grades you can. Second, start researching colleges on the east or west coast now (I'm guessing you're a sophomore, but it's never too early). Third, start reading everything from Sagan to Darwin to Dawkins to Russell. Fourth, just hang on until you can get to a place where people are... uhm, well, intelligent.

The point I'm trying to make is that, no matter how well reasoned your position, how well researched your concepts, how nicely you put it, people like that will never see you as anything other than a godless heathen who's obviously got something wrong with you.

Still, you're very welcome here. We is smart 'round here with our book-learnin!  :lol:
-Curio

Whitney

Teyla, I'm guessing you must be in a small town.  I say this because I have lived in the Bible belt my whole life and have never had any serious issues with others when I expressed views contrary to the popular Christian view.  So, my advice would be to lay low about your atheist views for 3 years then go to college in a large city and never move to a small town again.  I know 3 years seems like a long time to a teenager, but it really is a short time.

teyla

QuoteHow did you come to be an atheist?

I've never really had a spiritual mind set.
I think it's because of the way i was raised.  My parent never praised me for praying, and never scolded me when i rejected god.
I was raised to choose my path by my self without bias from my parents.
I can't word it any other way lol.

and thanks everyone for your input so far I will take it in consideration.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

[size=50]buddha[/size]

AlP

In this country that makes you a fortunate person. It might not appear that way for you right now but so many are indoctrinated into religious belief before they are old enough to question it. I only just thanked my parents for being so open minded and I'm 31. I agree with the previous posters. Hold on tight to you reason and get yourself into a college in one of the larger more secular cities when you're old enough. Disbelief in religion and level of education are correlated.

teyla

[size=50]buddha[/size]

SallyMutant

I agree with previous comments about modifying your skepticism until you move to a larger, more open town. You might find a bit of comfort at present by investigating the sane mainstream religions in your town, Perhaphs there is a pro-gay contingent in a Methodist church, or some Presbyterians helping the homeless. These people still have that weird faith midset, so be gentle with them. This is not to say you should join them, but if the people that carry bibles  are involved in sane christianity that should be WAY less depressing to you than Baptists, AOG, and such.
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

liveyoungdiefast

Move to San Fransisco, there are more gay bars than churches and more street make out sessions than street preachers :p

In all seriousness though, I agree with the other people. Just lay low for awhile with your beliefs, and get through your next few years of life. I'm only a few years older than you, and I'll tell you it does get easier with age.

AlP

Um, where did the special relevance of pro-gay come from? I like to live in a city that is accommodating of everyone's sexuality. But that's just one thing among many equally important factors to be considered when choosing a place to live. I would say, more generally, that I like to stay in a city where people tend to be more liberal and less religious.

QuoteMove to San Fransisco, there are more gay bars than churches and more street make out sessions than street preachers :p

This is quite amusing because it might actually be true. However...

A 15 year old living in the bible belt reached out for advice about practicing atheism. I think a comment like this is rather irrelevant (15 years). To me your comment was funny but to someone else it might be scary (bible belt). I'll leave it at that.

teyla

QuoteA 15 year old living in the bible belt reached out for advice about practicing atheism. I think a comment like this is rather irrelevant (15 years). To me your comment was funny but to someone else it might be scary (bible belt). I'll leave it at that.

I found it quite humors my self   :P

[size=50]buddha[/size]

liveyoungdiefast

Hey all I want to do is help, that was just a joke more than anything.

I live in the civilized part of Florida so I really don't have much Bible belt experience. Anyway, to the OP, as you get older, you'll become more confident in your beliefs. The unfortunate truth is very few people want to hear a 15 year old's opinion anyone. But just subtly look around, and you'll find lots of other people in the religion closet too.

Tanker

We had another teen poster a couple months back who had a similar issue, so I'll give you the same advice I gave him. By the most pesimistic estimates 10% of the US is Atheist that's 30 MILLION people. While I'm sure you feel very alone at times you have peers all around you who know what you're going though.

While I don't think you stated you were from a small town you diden't discount it either. A small town will make it harder on you especially being relativly young, most Atheists don't figure it out till after their teens (good for you). Being an Atheist today is like being gay 30 years ago and hard as it is for me to say it, you will be better off "staying in the closet" till you  bit older. I was open about my DIS-belief early (had a darwin fish on my school binder) and that tainted what might other wise have be good relationships with people who turned out to be rather small minded.

While I have live a good chunk of my life, off and on, in bible belt states (Texas being the worst) so I can understand what your going through. I was lucky enough to grow up in CA and OR so I know it wasn't as rough for me.

I would be willing to bet there are a few non-believers in your area feeling the same way but stuck in the same boat.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Cemetery

I've lived in North Carolina all my life & I find it easiest to tell people I'm "not religious."  They don't really ask what it means b/c it could just mean I don't go to church.  

~C

Msblue

Quote from: "Cemetery"I've lived in North Carolina all my life & I find it easiest to tell people I'm "not religious."  They don't really ask what it means b/c it could just mean I don't go to church.  

~C

I live in a very liberal area and I say the same thing. Most people don't know what an atheist really is anyway.