News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

An argument against the eye being designed

Started by AlP, February 16, 2009, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

Creationists sometimes give the eye as an example of a thing that could not have evolved and must thus have had a designer. I was watching a videoed discussion between Richard Dawkins and Randolph Nesse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CljP6z5 ... 43&index=1

I didn't know about this and I think its pretty cool. The human eye (and the eyes of most animals, octopuses are an exception) have a blind spot. And you can do an experiment on the HAF web site to confirm this theory! This is how I did it:

Scroll to the top of the page. You'll see a search box. To the left of the search box is the "post reply" button and to the right of the search box is the "search" button. The important thing is they are a few inches apart horizontally (depending on the resolution of the screen).

To do the experiment, close your left eye and with your right eye look directly at the "post reply" button. Keep your left eye closed and keep your right eye fixed on the "post reply" button the whole time. Start with your head really close to the screen, almost with your nose touching the screen but not so close that the "search" button on the right is outside your peripheral vision. The "search" button will look blurry but you should still be able to see it in your peripheral vision. Slowly move your head away from the screen while keeping your right eye fixed on the "post reply" button. At a certain distance you will not be able to see the "search" button but as you continue to move further away it will become visible again. The range of distances where you can't see it are when the "search" button is in your right eye's blind spot.

If this doesn't work it might be because your screen is higher resolution than mine. The two things need to be about 5 inches apart horizontally.

The reason we have a blind spot is because the nerves that carry the optical signals from the retina are actually between the retina and the lens, obscuring what we can see with that eye. Designers do not accept flaws like that. For example, if I were to design a digital camera, I would not put wires carrying the signal from the CCD to the electronics between the CCD and the lens. I would put anything of that sort either behind or to the side of the CCD so the image was not blocked.

In Genesis, God allegedly created the sea creatures (including the octopus) on day 5. Octopuses do not have a blind spot like humans do. Their eyes have a different "design". So he would know how to design an eye without a blind spot on day 5. He allegedly created the land animals and humans on day 6. Why would he give humans an inferior eye design to that of an octopus?
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

VanReal

Quote from: "AlP"In Genesis, God allegedly created the sea creatures (including the octopus) on day 5. Octopuses do not have a blind spot like humans do. Their eyes have a different "design". So he would know how to design an eye without a blind spot on day 5. He allegedly created the land animals and humans on day 6. Why would he give humans an inferior eye design to that of an octopus?

And why did I have to start wearing glasses to drive when I turned 25?  :borg:
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

AlP

If God had wanted us to drive he would have given us 4 wheels, an infinite supply of gasoline and Sirius radio :)
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

gwyn428

I had to use the title of the thread and the quote button to the right of it.

My conclusion: being made in the image of someone special should come with better vision.