News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

These people are idiots

Started by Tom62, January 31, 2009, 06:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Just found on CNN. Sen. Claire McCaskill gives a spirited explanation of the executive compensation bill.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01 ... nnSTCVideo
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Ok speech, and I agree with some of what she says, but how about congress tightening its collective belt, too? That's a group that doesn't "get it" either. Let them try paying for their own health care, for instance. When she says that everybody needs to tighten their belt, she needs to start right in her own peer group. Maybe stop paying athletes and "celebrities" outrageous sums of money to "entertain" us, as well. Although I agree that there is too much greed and corruption in the corporations she is speaking of, those problems aren't limited to them alone. All people everywhere in any area of endeavor have rotten apples among them. Left unchecked, any group would possibly go the same route.

I just disagree with the singling out of certain groups at certain times for being the current bad guy. We always need a bad guy. Problem is, we'll always have them. Kind of sad.

I've been re-reading Thoreau on Civil Disobedience, and it seems so timely, even though it has dated references, being written in 1849. Where are the people of good conscience and when will they step forward?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"I've been re-reading Thoreau on Civil Disobedience, and it seems so timely, even though it has dated references, being written in 1849. Where are the people of good conscience and when will they step forward?

Yum. I love Civil Disobedience. Why follow laws that we know to be unjust? Why follow laws, at all?

I believe Alexis de Tocqueville explained it in Democracy in America in 1840: "n democratic communities, the majority of the people do not clearly see what they have to gain by a revolution, but they continually and in a thousand ways feel that they might lose by one" (311).
-Curio

AnnaM

CNN is all propaganda and idiocy.  Al Jazeera is better, but you'd do better making things up than looking for genuine news in the mass media.
"Liberty and equality are in essence contradictory." - Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

Wraitchel

Quote from: "AnnaM"CNN is all propaganda and idiocy.  Al Jazeera is better, but you'd do better making things up than looking for genuine news in the mass media.
You, dear, have finally said something I can agree with. However, I must point out that Al Jazeera is as full of propagandist brainwashing bullshit as any media.

AlP

I like watching biased news reporting too, especially from the middle east. Al Jazeera is one of my favs. It's very well done.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus