News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

My grounds for being an atheist

Started by Ville, January 28, 2009, 09:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone!

I'm compiling my arguments for being an atheist in the following introduction.

Consciousness is based on the nervous system, to be exact on the brain. Thus, no mind can exist separate from the physical body. The proposition that there would be disembodied spirits (divine beings or genii or souls) is groundless and logically untenable. There is not a single evidence that would support the existence of gods, whereas there are millions of pieces of evidence that attest to the human's earthly origin. So, why do people glorify supernatural beings? I think that the religious motives originate from psychological needs, beliefs that arouse and soothe the fear of death, and from social learning.

The origin of man stems from the biological and cultural evolution. The human individual is an unique organism that once has come into existence, must therefore die. While we have a facility to learn, communicate and take the role of another, we are still species among other species of animals and inseparable from nature. I see that the biggest challenge of human race is to preserve the biosphere from ourselves.

My ideological stand is scientific, which questions everything, even its own methods and theories, and is open for debate. These critical requirements should keep me intellectually evolving unlike religious views that tend to have a thin skin whenever their gospels are impugned.

The best from Ville

Recusant

Welcome to HAF, Ville!  (I guess that could be construed as a pun.  I will not apologize for it, however.) :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

Hi Ville, thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio