News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Do People Become Atheists so They Can Act Immorally?

Started by Kylyssa, January 27, 2009, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Do People Become Atheists so They Can Act Immorally?

I'm hoping this bit gets a comment war going on it.  The theists seem so sure about atheists being immoral.

Kylyssa

Oh, got a theist comment!  It's not too exciting, just a "morality comes from God" person.

Tom62

I've posted a comment as well. Let's see how the theists react ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Kylyssa

Hey, thanks!  There's now an "emotions come from God" comment!

"Compassion comes from God. Without God, no love is possible. Atheist can act with compassion but it is the compassion God gave them. Emotions can only be explained by the presence of the immortal soul."

Don't we have a vomit smiley?

VanReal

So the emotion I get when I want to rip off someone's head is a gift from God?  Gees, thanks.  :hmm:
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Don't we have a vomit smiley?

Consider it your birthday present.  ;)

-Curio

Miss Anthrope

can't speak for all atheists, but I sure did!

Of course I'm joking, and playing with a very loose definition of "immoral", but dropping the notion of a highly judgemental God allowed me a lot of freedom in my youth. I hated the restrictions as far as what I chose to learn and view. Movies/books/comics/videogames with themes of magic? Evil. Superheroes who did great things without claiming God as their source of power? Evil. Music with lyrics that didn't involve praise to God? Misuse of music, which some Christians, even ones who don't take much issue with secular books and films, seem to think is some special thing intended only for praising God.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom