News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Atheists Don't Believe in God

Started by Kylyssa, January 26, 2009, 03:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Atheists Don't Believe in God

OK, I'm sure you already knew that, but it's another little piece I published on AC.  There should be some fun comments to play with on it soon.

VanReal

Very nice.  I particularly enjoyed how the article right below your's was titled "Atheists believe in God" and the statement that said that atheists do believe in God , they must because if they didn't nothing would exist? What? Confusing? And I enjoyed all of the proof she provided, hehe.

Yours was good, but it seems you still need to do some convincing that we actually don't believe in God, we aren't just pretending.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Tom62

Good article. Unfortunately it won't convince any Christian that we are not pretending. They just believe that we are like blind and misguided people, who need their help to get back to the "Light". They just see God in everything around them, which makes it incomprehensible for them that we don't see that. Hence we must be fools who are just be pretending or who must really hate God. That latter delusion is the more dangerous one, because someone who doesn't love their all merciful God (of "Love") must be an enemy of the Christian faith. Problem is that this misconception is present even in more moderate Christians.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

curiosityandthecat

Atheists don't believe in God?! Is THAT what I've been subscribing to?!?! SWEET JESUS ON A SALTINE, I'M GOING TO HELL! I thought it had something to do with fine cheeses!

;) Love it, as always.
-Curio

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Atheists don't believe in God?! Is THAT what I've been subscribing to?!?! SWEET JESUS ON A SALTINE, I'M GOING TO HELL! I thought it had something to do with fine cheeses!

;) Love it, as always.

:hail:  :beer:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

And don't forget to do your clickies on Kylissa's writings. More clickies, people!!!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kylyssa

Quote from: "McQ"And don't forget to do your clickies on Kylissa's writings. More clickies, people!!!
Aw, thank you!

Miss Anthrope

Nice blog, I like the points you make about people who think that belief in God is a "default" belief. I can't recall having a belief in God until my mom started going to church when I was 8, and even then it never engrained itself into my belief system, it was more like a "OK, the adults believe it, so I guess it's true" kind of thing. Based on subjective retrospection, it seems more to be like belief in God is the opposite of natural (although from a historic perspective I think it was pretty natural for people to create God as a means to explain things they didn't understand, which was pretty much everything, i.e. god was like the original Theory of Everything)

Also checke dout the bizarro version of your blog entry, "Atheists Beleive in God". I think it's funny that whoever wrote it was wrong right out of the gate:

"Does intelligence beyond the universe exist? Any Atheist must claim "No," because the doctrine of Atheism denies the existence of the Supernatural"

I can't speak for all atheists, obviously, but I don't think atheism necessarily assumes a flat out denial of intelligence "beyond our Universe", it's an unknown, and I think many atheists simply  dismiss the actual term "Supernatural" as meaningless. A lot of quantum theory and cosmological theories involve concepts that would have been labelled "supernatural" 200 years ago; even if ghosts existed they would still have to be "natural". I noticed that many theists place their own rigid belief structure upon their "enemies" the atheists.
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

Kylyssa

You can vote up Atheists Don't Believe in God on Shoutwire here.  Many thanks to Skitty!

Kylyssa

And thanks be to Chancy!  You can now show your support on the Atheism subreddit.