News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

hermes2015

I like the tall guy's voice. I've never heard of them — I guess I should get out more.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

This is an interesting video, where the boys look at some first class classical performances. I love watching their reactions. Look at their faces when they listen to Hilary Hahn and Janine Jansen; my reaction is the same when I listen to them.

My only quibble is their assessment of Anne-Sophie Mutter, whose playing has never appealed to me. But then, I am just a rank amateur compared to these guys.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 04, 2022, 05:23:16 AM
This is an interesting video, where the boys look at some first class classical performances. I love watching their reactions. Look at their faces when they listen to Hilary Hahn and Janine Jansen; my reaction is the same when I listen to them.

My only quibble is their assessment of Anne-Sophie Mutter, whose playing has never appealed to me. But then, I am just a rank amateur compared to these guys.

That was really fun to watch. Plus, the performances they listened to are simply incredible....there is simply nothing comparable in my mind to the violin, it is the most beautiful of all musical instruments.

I love Hilary Hahn...I think I have posted a video here before of her performance of Beethoven's Violin Concerto with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
This is my all-time, absolute favorite piece of music. When I discovered classical music as a young teenager, and came across Beethoven's masterpiece I listened to it non-stop in my room. Often while reading, sometimes just sitting listening. As soon as the tape ended I would play over again.

My father was very confused, because normally I would drive him crazy listening to all sorts rock and roll, punk-rock, etc...he was constantly yelling at me to turn down my stereo, and now here I was listening to classical music.
Of course I still listened to it loud, but he didn't want to tell me to turn it down as he much preferred Beethoven over Lou Reed, the Clash and Van Halen. He just didn't understand why I would listen to the same performance over and over again.

He also told my mother that he didn't understand how I could have such a mixed appreciation of music...though he did get tired of me playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto over and over again.

I had a really nice, and expensive stereo system in our basement, and when I moved the equipment into my bedroom my father told me that I would have to move it back into the basement as there was no way in hell he was going to put up with my loud music on the main floor of our home, but then I showed him the new stereo headphones I bought, and he was both extremely impressed with the sound quality, and overjoyed with the notion that he wouldn't have to hear my music anymore.

Anyway I'll post it again!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny II

The local radio is doing Mardi gras anthems for the next forty five minutes.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/midnorthcoast/live/

I wonder if they'll give us some Abba?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 04, 2022, 11:19:48 PM
I love Hilary Hahn......

So do I. Her recording is in my collection, along with Isabelle Faust's fine one with Claudio Abbado conducting the Orchestra Mozart.
― Charles Eames

Mr. B

Quote from: Magdalena on March 05, 2022, 02:09:59 AM

I'm a fan now. :grin:

Welcome aboard!

Funny side note. I once worked in a call center as customer service for Southern California Edison Electric. I had access to every single customers routing numbers, checking acount numbers, phone numbers, checking account numbers or credit card numbers depending on how the paid their bill.

One of our customers was Robert Van Winkle.

Here is a cover version of his song as re-imagined by him.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

No one

Mr. B

Mr. B

Mr. B

Icarus

Good one Mr. B   A real band and a smoothly talented vocalist who can scat.

No one