News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

I'm sure King George III and his loyal subjects felt the same way towards the "American" patriots back in the day.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Biggus Dickus

Let's get back to music - I love the Cowboy Junkies, and I love the Velvet Underground, and I worshipped Lou Reed like a god, so here's the Junkies playing god's music.

I saw the Cowboy Junkies live in Windsor in the mid-80's, small club...they were fantastic.(From what I remember)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Mr. B

First time I ever got high I sat in my room and listened to Trinity Session. Later saw the Junkies at the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville in the 90's. My brother gave me a tape cassette of Lou Reed's Magic and Loss around the same time.

Was never really a fan of the Velvet Underground. Only became aware of them through a movie about The Doors starring Val Kilmer. In 2015 after Trump announced he was running for President I saw this picture.

Meanwhile I have one daughter named after Bela Fleck.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Anne D.

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 19, 2022, 01:17:12 AM
Let's get back to music - I love the Cowboy Junkies, and I love the Velvet Underground, and I worshipped Lou Reed like a god, so here's the Junkies playing god's music.

I saw the Cowboy Junkies live in Windsor in the mid-80's, small club...they were fantastic.(From what I remember)

This is my absolute favorite song of "theirs." Just amazing. I listened to it just about every day during my first year of college.

billy rubin

jeez its been a long time since top of the pops

set the function, not the mechanism.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Anne D. on February 19, 2022, 02:51:47 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 19, 2022, 01:17:12 AM

This is my absolute favorite song of "theirs." Just amazing. I listened to it just about every day during my first year of college.

Covers of songs which I feel are actually better than the original are rare in my opinion, and as much as I love the original Sweet Jane, the Cowboy's really put some ownership to this...I play this often as well, one of my favs.

Here's a cover of a song I definitely feel is better than the original, "Mad World", by Tears for Fears...covered by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews.

Mr. B

100% agree.

Another cover that is better than the original.

billy rubin

ive loved this womans music for 40 years now

billy rubin

shankar, too. she does lots of things with different accompaniests, but i love her classical solo stuff the most

saw her father once in concert with george harrison, long long ago in a galaxy far away

billy rubin

this woman has a backstory

shes tired in this performance, a bit. i cant believe that the audience didnt recognze the song right away.

a giant of american folk music

billy rubin

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Mr. B on February 19, 2022, 06:32:12 PM
100% agree.

Another cover that is better than the original.

I agree, Johhny nails this. It's a very moving, and very inspiring version of the song, especially at that time in his life.

No one

I guess I'm in the minority here. I prefer Trent's, all day.

billy rubin

Magdalena

^^^ Oooh! Moonshine and weed, Copperhead Road sounds fabulous.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant