News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on June 19, 2020, 07:59:50 PM

we have a kid from ruwanda living with us through the summer because he can't leave the country and the quaker boarding school is closed.

so he plays vicious little video games with my sons and listens to french rap. here you go

I went to the capital of Rwanda very shortly after the genocide ended to train scientists at their resurrected Standards Bureau. It was not a happy place and I didn't feel safe at all. It was exclusively French, but I got by with my limited French. In subsequent years I've seen a steady improvement. I stayed at the Hotel de Mille Collines at least 3 times. That's the famous hotel in the movie Hotel Rwanda.

Tell your guest that Kigali, the capital, is now one of the cleanest towns I have ever visited.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

The New York Metropolitan Opera is providing a free steam of the spectacular opera Akhnaten by Philip Glass today.

https://metoperafree.brightcove.services/?videoId=6163423762001

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

We need a little happiness these days. Here is a chick that can really Git down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtXo4tiZxs

No one

Tom62

Those two crazy Swiss are at it again

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Randy

That was weird, entertaining but weird.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Anne D.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 21, 2020, 02:13:00 AM

So lovely. Pixies are my desert island band. This cover might even be better than the original.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 20, 2020, 04:34:22 AM

I went to the capital of Rwanda very shortly after the genocide ended to train scientists at their resurrected Standards Bureau. It was not a happy place and I didn't feel safe at all. It was exclusively French, but I got by with my limited French. In subsequent years I've seen a steady improvement. I stayed at the Hotel de Mille Collines at least 3 times. That's the famous hotel in the movie Hotel Rwanda.

Tell your guest that Kigali, the capital, is now one of the cleanest towns I have ever visited.

i will.

btw, he has also had a run in with the local ohio police for walking-while-black.

he was on the sidewalk in the county seat late at night-- a 16 year old kid from another continent-- and the pigs had to stop and interrogate him for the crime of being dark.

what's the world coming to. the kid isnt even a native and he still has to put up with the american police attitudes to black americans.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

billy rubin

and i like his kids. they need to firm up, but they already have a sound

Randy

I love that song by the Kongos! It's been a while since I've heard it. Whatever happened to them?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 03, 2020, 02:12:54 AM
The last few days I've been burying my head in old Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood songs (remember them?).  I think I'm almost on the verge of understanding this one:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on June 22, 2020, 11:15:56 PM
and i like his kids. they need to firm up, but they already have a sound

Very catchy. A great piece to sing along with when driving.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.