News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

I'm listening to some forgotten songs from a vanished web site called Belly Bongo.

Eight selections here:
http://www.joesdump.com/2016/04/18/strange-music/

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 17, 2016, 01:34:45 AM

I like Glitch Mob. I started listening to them when I heard their remix on the Tron: Legacy remix album.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Siz

Yeah, I like that.
I first discovered Glitch Mob after some new kid arrived at HAF a couple of years ago who mentioned he liked 'glitch'. I'd never heard of it so I googled some and Glitch Mob came up. There's other stuff I like more, like this favourite of mine:

The whole album is pretty good.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Siz on April 18, 2016, 06:12:31 PM
Yeah, I like that.
I first discovered Glitch Mob after some new kid arrived at HAF a couple of years ago who mentioned he liked 'glitch'. I'd never heard of it so I googled some and Glitch Mob came up. There's other stuff I like more, like this favourite of mine:

The whole album is pretty good.
That one is new to me, but I like it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Siz

OK then, y'all like that one, try this - a little more contemplative but not moving far from the theme:

I'd love to discover any more stuff like this if you have any suggestions...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Jimmy

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Crow

To Siz, Here are some older tracks that use glitch from different genres.

Minimal techno. His other stuff isn't really like this but  the rest of the stuff on this album is.
[youtube width=200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvCJT7BlKs[/youtube]

There is loads by Autechre which is IDM but you have to sift through a lot and seeing how diverse and experimental there music is it could take a while, they go slightly normal to pretty much pure noise.
[youtube width=200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU[/youtube]

edIT, this is pretty much the album that started the glitch side of the EDM genre that glitchmob and that are a part of.
[youtube width=200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimujttqr_A[/youtube]

Prefuse 73, experimental hip hop. Not the pioneer but my first introduction to the sounds and pretty much everything slightly glitch gets filtered through the lens of the One World Extinguisher album because it was so different anything I had listened to at the time.
[youtube width=200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZznNedGjM[/youtube]

There are loads more that touch on the genre but too lazy to post videos to them. Musicians like Daedalus, Machine Drum, Venetian Snares (if you are into mental his stuff might be your thing), Neil Landstrum, Amon Tobin, Ital Tek, World's End Girlfriend. I seriously could go on for ages so will stop but if there is a particular genre of music you enjoy you can usually find somebody doing glitch stuff within it as it is less of a genre these days and more about the kinds of sounds. I personally prefer the IDM and instrumental/experimental hip hop stuff but whatever floats your boat really.
Retired member.

Siz

Thanks Crow. Prefuse, I know and like. Nice though it is, that's all a bit gentle for my taste (I know Miracle by Blackmill is quite 'ambient' but I like the futuristic feel). I prefer the more aggressive, dystopian-chaotic vibe of Glitch Mob, She and (early) Skrillex. Always loved Deadmau5 too who I think are the most talented songwriters of their genre (whatever you choose to call it...)

OldGit

A nice performance of Mozart's clarinet concerto by that Julian Bliss bloke.

Crow

Quote from: Siz on April 20, 2016, 09:47:11 AM
Thanks Crow. Prefuse, I know and like. Nice though it is, that's all a bit gentle for my taste (I know Miracle by Blackmill is quite 'ambient' but I like the futuristic feel). I prefer the more aggressive, dystopian-chaotic vibe of Glitch Mob, She and (early) Skrillex. Always loved Deadmau5 too who I think are the most talented songwriters of their genre (whatever you choose to call it...)

No flipping idea what they call it these days, last time I heard it was EDM as it was essentially a big mix up of different genres, but the pigeon holes around music are always changing. But you might be into the Breakcore or Miami Bass stuff.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Retired member.

Siz

I've been kicked out of the DJ booth at work today so will have to listen to those later on...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Siz on April 20, 2016, 01:21:49 AM
OK then, y'all like that one, try this - a little more contemplative but not moving far from the theme:

I'd love to discover any more stuff like this if you have any suggestions...

If you like futuristic ambient music I suggest giving the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack a try, if you haven't heard it already.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2016, 12:17:17 PM

If you like futuristic ambient music I suggest giving the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack a try, if you haven't heard it already.

Mirror's Edge soundtrack (which is by Solar Fields), if you want something that is futuristic ambient but is very different then check out the Akira soundtrack which is by Shoji Yamashiro.
Retired member.