News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

24 cans of guinness for almost $50 and that's considered a deal! What a rip off.
Retired member.

Bad Penny

Quote from: Crow on March 17, 2016, 04:22:29 PM
24 cans of guinness for almost $50 and that's considered a deal! What a rip off.

Taxation has a lot to do with it I think.

You can get box wine for $2.20 a litre, it's taxed differently.

Biggus Dickus

There's nothing like Mazzy Star.

...and Halah off the album, "She Hangs Brightly". I just loved this album.

Off the same album, "Before I Sleep".
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Those are nice, Bruno. I wasn't familiar with Mazzy Star's music...

But today I'm in the mood for some Kryptic Minds. :badger:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Sandra Craft

A street festival going on right below my window.  I wish I could enjoy it but I'm just waiting for the noise to stop.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

...And now, it's time to relax.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

xSilverPhinx

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 26, 2016, 04:49:33 PM

I like this song by Hozier a lot, are you familiar with this acoustic version by Michael Chapdelaine? I don't often go for acoustic/instrumental covers of songs, but this one by Michael really captures the essence of the song with his fingerstyle technique, I think it one of his best covers, in fact I believe I posted this version here before.

Funny thing about this song by Hozier. When it first hit the air-ways it was of course extremely popular, and was getting a lot of airplay on both the popular and indie stations,and a growing number of those who really liked the song were Christians who really loved the whole, "Take Me To Church" chorus.

But then some pastors and religious leaders actually took the time to read the lyrics, and started to realize that it's not actually a pro-christian song at all, and doubled down on the meaning of the lyrics and began to discuss it at services because so many of their young people were enjoying the song.
In fact a pastor wrote an open letter to Hozier in response to the lyrics.

Here's another Christian leader's take on the song and his translation of the lyrics, which he deems pretty blasphemous.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Here's Hozier's own words on it:

'Take Me to Church' is essentially about sex, but it's a tongue-in-cheek attack at organizations that would... undermine humanity by successfully teaching shame about sexual orientation — that it is sinful, or that it offends God... But it's not an attack on faith... it's an assertion of self, reclaiming humanity back for something that is the most natural and worthwhile.

xSilverPhinx

I like that cover, thanks for posting. :smilenod:

The reason this song is pretty blasphemous is one of the reasons I like it so much.  :P

Siz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmL-OT4Q3sc

Following the death yesterday of our beloved Ronnie Corbett, I've been listening to this addictive little number. Love it!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Biggus Dickus

I've been listening to Chan Marshall, aka Cat Power a lot lately. This is an awesome live version of her performing "Lived in Bars"