News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Berceuse from the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky.

We played this in orchestra last Spring semester, but only just now has it hit me exactly how beautiful it really is.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

philosoraptor

I can't get enough of Capital Cities' "In A Tidal Wave of Mystery" right now.  It's such a damn catchy album.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Harmonie

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean Prime

Oz Metalcore.

Parkway Drive - Writings on the Wall

OldGit

Radiant, that mediaeval music is lovely.

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on October 09, 2015, 10:30:03 AM

Yes, attractive enough, though the odd time signature makes it difficult to grasp a melody.

A little googling on the matter reveals that the everyday street music of the era is lost to history. Mostly, what remains of musical notation is church music and forms the basis of our idea of what 'medieval music' sounds like. Furthermore, much of the annotation of time signatures (mensural notation) is contextual and without any available translation the 'flavour' of the music will probably never be reconstructed for modern ears.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

Also, they don't have the old instruments; the mediaeval Griboons, the Scroppits and Whurglers cannot be substituted for by modern kazoos, mouth-organs and bum trumpets.

Biggus Dickus

Me thinks if I have time today I will go and pick up this new release from Sir Elvis Costello.

Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album

This certainly brings back memories. Saw Sir Elvis back in the early to mid 80's here in Ann Arbor, MI. at the Hill Auditorium...vaguely remember details about the concert...believe we took some shrooms that evening,...but what a time we had. Must have been 10 of us crowded into a friends van as we drove from Detroit to Ann Arbor.
Spent the night afterward the show on campus at the University of Michigan at a friends dorm...couldn't find our other friends the next day so girlfriend and I had to hitch-hike back Detroit.

Then her and I had to drive back to our university all the way across state...hardly enough money for gas...tired as shit, no food, fucking heater in my car wasn't working, so we had to wrap ourselves in blankets for the 2.5 hour ride .

Best of times.

edited 1x because of fucking grammar.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

Mozart's Piano Concerto #20 in Dm.  Very relaxing.

MariaEvri

the title song of married with children
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Harmonie

Quote from: Siz on October 10, 2015, 02:10:20 AM
Quote from: OldGit on October 09, 2015, 10:30:03 AM

Yes, attractive enough, though the odd time signature makes it difficult to grasp a melody.

A little googling on the matter reveals that the everyday street music of the era is lost to history. Mostly, what remains of musical notation is church music and forms the basis of our idea of what 'medieval music' sounds like. Furthermore, much of the annotation of time signatures (mensural notation) is contextual and without any available translation the 'flavour' of the music will probably never be reconstructed for modern ears.

Right, most of the music we have from early music eras are church music, because they kept a much better record of music. (There's also the probably pretty obvious fact that a lot of music was not played by sheet, so no record of it even exists).

Sadly, that limits the amount of instrumental music, too, because for a fair amount of time the church looked down on instruments, thinking that vocals are the only (pardon the pun) voice for God.

The church has always been against everything good. Lol.

Not to say that vocal music is not great, because it is. The majority of early music I have and listen to is polyphonic choral music from the Renaissance. Such gorgeous music.

Magdalena

It's my turn to feel happy...right now...with the aid of Malbec Chile wine.  ;)
I'm sorry if you're not happy as I am...right now.  :(

"You Make Me Feel So Young" - Frank Sinatra-with Lyrics

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant