News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

OldGit

Allegri's Miserere, sung by The Sixteen.  Bliss.

Larry

Myself, playing thru Charlier's Transcendantes Etudes. Well, the first one...the others I'm listening to before attempting.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus [341-270 B.C.E.]

"And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
God gave the Secret, and denied it me?-
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too."
Rubaiyat, R. Le Gallienne, transl.

OldGit

I was listening to a performance of a movement from Mozart's Horn Concerto No 4.  I thought it technically pretty poor, the sound was often bad and at times the player had to slow down to manage some phrases.  Why the hell did BBC Radio 3 bother to play that?   Then the announcer said that the bloke was playing it on a length of garden hose!  Suddenly I realised what an amazing effort it was.  I wish I'd known from the start. :D

Guardian85

A little air candy to celebrate pay day.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Tschaikovsky, some stuff about Byron's 'Manfred'.  Quite pretty in a kitschy sort of way.  Seems to me Tschaikovsky would not have been missed if he had been sent to a Gulag.

Tom62

Some old Dutch music that is probably not known outside the Netherlands

Lucifer - House for Sale

Joey Dyser - 100 Years
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Don't mind me, I'm just drunk.  ::)
http://videos.sapo.pt/g706YmEhnNVopTpcVaSg
Look at him with those mariachi looking pants with the high heels.
The eyeliner and huge shoulder pads with the sleeveless spandex shirt.
I like how he hits those hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh notes, and the way he dances! It's like watching a slinky doing its thing.
But why is there a woman in a burka wearing a thong?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Larry

Quote from: OldGit on July 18, 2015, 09:21:57 AM
Tschaikovsky, some stuff about Byron's 'Manfred'.  Quite pretty in a kitschy sort of way.  Seems to me Tschaikovsky would not have been missed if he had been sent to a Gulag.

Haven't heard that one....I was under the impression the bloke couldn't write a bad note.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Asmodean

Manic Street Preachers - Australia
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Eric V Arachnid

Courtney Barnett, I hope she lives long and prospers.
It's none of my business though,
if she chooses briefer,
pseudo brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sW53Hjo30
Misanthropic Curmudgeon

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

OldGit

Quote from: LarryHaven't heard that one....I was under the impression the bloke couldn't write a bad note.

It's a matter of taste, of course, but for myself I don't care for much of his stuff.  The 1812 is good fun, I suppose, in its excitable and overblown way.

Larry

Mahler it's not...I'll give you that.