News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

OMFSM, not the Shostakovich!  Please!  I'd rather be tortured by the Gestapo than listen to that.  :o  :o  :o

Larry

Quote from: OldGit on May 10, 2015, 09:51:17 AM
OMFSM, not the Shostakovich!  Please!  I'd rather be tortured by the Gestapo than listen to that.  :o  :o  :o

Oh this one's very playful...he spends the entire first movement with a toy instrument ensemble, quoting the William Tell Overture again and again. The Rossini piece was also on the program...never saw it live, and realized that the cellos have the entire intro.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus [341-270 B.C.E.]

"And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
God gave the Secret, and denied it me?-
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too."
Rubaiyat, R. Le Gallienne, transl.

OldGit

Biggus Dickus

Gymnopedie - Erik Satie

Performed by Emilie Landolfi
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

'Fraid I can't make the link work, so I hope you don't mind my posting this one.

It's a pretty piece.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: OldGit on May 14, 2015, 07:38:18 PM
'Fraid I can't make the link work, so I hope you don't mind my posting this one.

It's a pretty piece.

Yes that's it...haunting isn't it?...put it on loop and let it play continuosly then allow yourself to get lost in the music.

Here's the correct link of this piece performed by Emilie Landolfi.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tom62

Great, either the video's are blocked (due to the Youtube copyright licensing war with GEMA) or Youtube tells me that they performing a software upgrade, which makes it no longer compatible with my device (a 1st generation iPod). It is time to throw that piece of shit hardware out of the window anyway, because it crashes every five minutes when surfing the web.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on May 14, 2015, 07:38:18 PM

It's a pretty piece.
GymnopĂ©die No 1 by Erik Satie, has been my favorite for a very long time. Remember I asked you about it in a PM? One of the pianist at work used to play it all the time. I asked her what the piece was called and she said it was Jeux D'enfants by Georges Bizet, but she was wrong.  >:( I never saw her again, so there was no way of knowing what it was called. I couldn't even google it because...well, how do you find classical music?  No artist, no title, no lyrics--Hello!?  ::)
One day I played a CD, at home, and there it was!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Quote from: Mags..well, how do you find classical music?  No artist, no title, no lyrics--Hello!?

Over here I'm always tuned to one of the exclusively classical music radio stations, so the one I'm looking for will eventually pop up.  If necessary I check the station's website to get full details.  I'm sure you have such stations where you are.

I'm now listening to a Mozart piano concerto, but I couldn't remember the number.  A quick look-up gave me No 21 in Cmaj, 2nd movement.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on May 15, 2015, 09:16:31 AM
Quote from: Mags..well, how do you find classical music?  No artist, no title, no lyrics--Hello!?

Over here I'm always tuned to one of the exclusively classical music radio stations, so the one I'm looking for will eventually pop up.  If necessary I check the station's website to get full details.  I'm sure you have such stations where you are.

I'm now listening to a Mozart piano concerto, but I couldn't remember the number.  A quick look-up gave me No 21 in Cmaj, 2nd movement.

The other option which I think is better would be Spotify.
Retired member.

OldGit

But if you don't know the name or composer?

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on May 15, 2015, 07:29:06 PM
But if you don't know the name or composer?

Use spotify radio or playlists. If there is an artist you like, say Satie as that has been used and you want similar music you go to their artist page and click the circle with the dots the "start artist radio". This is what I got doing that:

Gymnopedia No. 1 - Erik Satie
Liebesträume No. 3 - Franz List
Dance of the Knights - Sergei Prokofiev
Caresse - Erik Satie
Vers la flamme, Op.72 - Alexander Scriabin
Great Pianola music: On the Great Divide - John Adams
Metamorphosis 4: Philip Glass
Nocterne in C-Sharp Minor - Chopin
Rhapsody in Blue - Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra
Vertables Preludes Flasques - Satie
Nocterne in G Minor - Chopin
The Planets, Op. 32: III. Mercury the Winged Messenger - Gustav Holst
The Girl with the Flaxen Hair - Debussy

and just keeps going on and on. It will usually tailor the stations to you slightly depending on what you listen to as I got more minamalism, avant-garde, and contemporary classical than what I would have expected from that selection.

Once you have used it for a while the discover section is very good and you also have the related artists panel as well.
Retired member.

philosoraptor

My go to album lately has been M83's "Hurry Up We're Dreaming".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZR0CFbJ4M&list=PLPiRpP9ylhgJD0f7vb1_ODwes0_aTCZbx

"Midnight City" is my favorite song from this album.  It's definitely in my top 3 favorite songs ever.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

OldGit

That sounds like a useful facility, Crow, thanks very much for pointing it out.

Pasta Chick