News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Well I put on a Springsteen CD as "Larry-the-New" guy got me thinking about the Erie Canal with one of his posts yesterday. This song is from his album "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions"

A great album, this song is called, "Erie Canal".

Probably my favorite song on the album, and which I personally think is one of the most beautiful and lovely romantic songs ever is: Shenandoah.

That's Springsteen's version above, here is Sissel from Norway's version.

Here are the lyrics.

O Shenandoah, I long to hear you Away, you rolling river O Shenandoah, I long to hear you Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Missouri, she's a mighty river Away, you rolling river The Indians camp along her borders Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

The white man loved an Indian maiden Away, you rolling river With notions his canoe was laden Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

O Shenandoah, I love your daughter Away, you rolling river For her I've crossed the rolling water Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Seven long years I courted Sally Away, you rolling river Seven more I longed to have her Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Farewell, my dear, I'm bound to leave you Away, you rolling river O Shenandoah, I'll not deceive you Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Larry

Quote from: Sir Bruno on March 30, 2015, 12:10:46 AM
Well I put on a Springsteen CD as "Larry-the-New" guy got me thinking about the Erie Canal with one of his posts yesterday. This song is from his album "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions"

A great album, this song is called, "Erie Canal".

Probably my favorite song on the album, and which I personally think is one of the most beautiful and lovely romantic songs ever is: Shenandoah.

That's Springsteen's version above, here is Sissel from Norway's version.

Here are the lyrics.

O Shenandoah, I long to hear you Away, you rolling river O Shenandoah, I long to hear you Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Missouri, she's a mighty river Away, you rolling river The Indians camp along her borders Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

The white man loved an Indian maiden Away, you rolling river With notions his canoe was laden Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

O Shenandoah, I love your daughter Away, you rolling river For her I've crossed the rolling water Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Seven long years I courted Sally Away, you rolling river Seven more I longed to have her Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Farewell, my dear, I'm bound to leave you Away, you rolling river O Shenandoah, I'll not deceive you Away, I'm bound away 'Cross the wide Missouri

Have played and sung that in many arrangements...still beautiful.

In a much darker mode is Springsteen's State Trooper...here's a youtube link with Manda Mosher singing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mET0eKmJAh4

L.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus [341-270 B.C.E.]

"And do you think that unto such as you,
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew,
God gave the Secret, and denied it me?-
Well, well, what matters it! believe that too."
Rubaiyat, R. Le Gallienne, transl.

Lee

60's daz.....

Help Me Rhonda, help, help me Rhonda....

Larry

B Minor Mass - J. S. Bach

sung it once in a sing-in...that was a workout!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Tom62

Falco Jeanny. A very controversial song, due to its lyrics. Some radio stations banned it for "ethical reasons". Some critics thought that the song glorifies rape. Typically, the scandal only helped to increase the sales of the single (it reached no. one in several European charts). For more details see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanny

I find the song rather eerie.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tom62 on April 02, 2015, 08:19:44 PM
Falco Jeanny. A very controversial song, due to its lyrics. Some radio stations banned it for "ethical reasons". Some critics thought that the song glorifies rape. Typically, the scandal only helped to increase the sales of the single (it reached no. one in several European charts). For more details see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanny

I find the song rather eerie.

I remember Falco from the 80's, wasn't a fan at all, but he was popular at some of the dance clubs I used to frequent,  but I don't remember this song at all or the controversy over it.

Very 80's sound to it. Rock Me Amadeus!

I posted a piece earlier by Michael Chapdelaine (Hozier's - Take Me to Church)

This is Michael performing Capricho Arabe by Tarrega, which is a wonderful, and one of my favorite versions of this song.

Michael studied with Segovia (Master's class) and here is a clip of him being asked to leave by Segovia himself because he didn't like how Michael had changed his arrangement.

Also love this version by Luca Stricagnoli -The Last of the Mohicans (Acoustic Guitar)

Listen and breathe.

Larry

A big Leo Brouwer fan here...acoustic guitar is my favorite.

Magdalena

:) Sir Bruno, would you like to dance with me? I don't know where the heck Davin went.  >:(
Ricky Martin - Pégate
Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
These songs remind me that my name is Magdalena, not Mags, so Tank, may I please have my name back? Thank you.  ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Mags on April 12, 2015, 04:34:43 AM
:) Sir Bruno, would you like to dance with me? I don't know where the heck Davin went.  >:(
Ricky Martin - Pégate
These songs remind me that my name is Magdalena, not Mags, so Tank, may I please have my name back? Thank you.  ;)

Yes I will dance with you Magdalena...but can we slow it down a bit?

Magdalena

Quote from: Sir Bruno on April 12, 2015, 06:25:07 AM
Quote from: Mags on April 12, 2015, 04:34:43 AM
Ricky Martin - Pégate

Yes I will dance with you Magdalena...but can we slow it down a bit?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

This one goes out to someone I haven't seen in a long time and I miss a lot.  :'(
Train - Drops of Jupiter

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on April 12, 2015, 04:34:43 AM
I'm still here, just looking in from the bushes...

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 13, 2015, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 12, 2015, 04:34:43 AM
I'm still here, just looking in from the bushes...

;D
That looks like fun, can I do it too?

Essie Mae

Marriage of Figaro as an antidote nursery rhymes. Besotted as I am with my granddaughter, I need to get the sound worm 'Open, Shut Them' out of my mind for tonight at least. Back on duty tomorrow; have to make the most of it - only 8 days left in Oz.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.