Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Crow on February 09, 2015, 11:40:18 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on February 09, 2015, 10:43:25 PM
I disagree, I think the storyline is great, it's not a typical princess needs a handsome prince to rescue her;  the songs are very catchy; characters like a summer loving snowman are fabulous.

I see that but it isn't exactly the first time Disney has done the self empowered female character, maybe Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Snow White stand out more but there have been some very strong females in Disney films. Fa Mulan kicked all the asses, Pocahontas, Princess Eilonwy, Ariel, Nala and Belle saved the men in their respective films.

You know far too much about Disney films  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on February 10, 2015, 08:15:11 AM
I disagree, I think the storyline is great, it's not a typical princess needs a handsome prince to rescue her;  the songs are very catchy; characters like a summer loving snowman are fabulous.

I see that but it isn't exactly the first time Disney has done the self empowered female character, maybe Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Snow White stand out more but there have been some very strong females in Disney films. Fa Mulan kicked all the asses, Pocahontas, Princess Eilonwy, Ariel, Nala and Belle saved the men in their respective films.

You know far too much about Disney films  ;)

I know far too much about all media in general.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

You know more than me, I'd forgotten all about Eilonwy!  It maybe helped that I saw Frozen in the cinema with scamp, perhaps you need that excitement of a 6year old to get fully into it.  There have been some good female charcters in Disney in the past but the underlying theme is usually princess falls in love with a prince and they get together in the end.  Frozen is really about sisterly love not romantic love. 

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Very interesting.  I did love to watch some of the faces!

Magdalena

^^^
I know what you mean.  :D
You know more about classical music than I do so I would like to ask you something. They're all playing the same notes, but the intensity and the speed is a bit different. Does this have anything to do with the years of experience, their personalities, or is it just the passion they put behind it? Some sound better than others, I think, well, maybe not better, but a lot smoother.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

I think it's all those things rolled up.  Really just personal interpretation.  Musicians are supposed to play the notes as written, but exactly how is up to the soloist or, in the orchestra, the conductor.  That's the theory, anyway. ;)  Note, however, that the pitch is always bang on, and that's not with the help of modern software.

I entirely agree that there is a lot of difference between these performances, and some suit some people more than others.

Magdalena

Quote from: OldGit on February 11, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Note, however, that the pitch is always bang on, and that's not with the help of modern software.
True, and amazing, isn't it?

Quote from: OldGit on February 11, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
I entirely agree that there is a lot of difference between these performances, and some suit some people more than others.
The one I thought was the smoothest is at the 7 minute mark of the video. The most intense one is the blond woman at the 2:35-minute mark.

Essie Mae

Mario Lanza, the best tenor voice I've ever heard, better even than Pavarotti.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Crow

Makaya McCravens recent album In The Moment, which was improvised at first then cut and edited for the album. I like the method in which it has be arranged and captures the feel of older music where it was all performed in one room whilst having decent production values without feeling sterile in the slightest, which for me has became something of a massive issue in modern jazz and rock music which in recorded form loses all of its spontaneity and excitement. Urgh so much is over produced these days and loses all character.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

God I love Chrissie Hynde...performing Creep by RadioHead.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tom62

I'm listening to The Art of Noise Greatest Hits that has this song on it.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on February 14, 2015, 09:21:13 PM
I'm listening to The Art of Noise Greatest Hits that has this song on it.
Great song.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2iI0ulE6o

Natalia Jimenez, Quédate Con Ella 

Listening to the Pop Latino channel on cable. Like to give my boys experiences other than country bumpkin Oklahoma.

Magdalena

Quote from: MzLee on February 14, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2iI0ulE6o

Natalia Jimenez, Quédate Con Ella 

Listening to the Pop Latino channel on cable. Like to give my boys experiences other than country bumpkin Oklahoma.

Cool.  8)