News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tom62 on November 06, 2014, 07:06:00 PM
I was listening to some very weird noises

Wow, totally awesome, thanks Tom.

I want a Yabahar. Seriously that is incredible, I've been listening to it all morning. Will watch the TedX video later during lunch.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Essie Mae

Welsh Male voice Choir followed by Mendelssohn - Song Without Words
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

OldGit

Rimsky bloody korsakoff.  Scheherazade.  Not my favourite, but they'll play something else in a minute.

Biggus Dickus

Today is Monday, I've barely made it to noon, and it's looking as if I may be here late, but " Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios", performed by John Williams is making it tolerable.
Have listen to it twice (So far today) :)

OldGit

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno on November 10, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
Today is Monday, I've barely made it to noon, and it's looking as if I may be here late, but " Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios", performed by John Williams is making it tolerable.
It's nice, it reminded me of Aires Bucaneros (Casi Alba) - Caballo de Palo

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on November 11, 2014, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: Bruno on November 10, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
It's nice, it reminded me of Aires Bucaneros (Casi Alba) - Caballo de Palo

Thanks Mags, I wasn't aware of Aires Bucaneros.

Pasta Chick

I was at the Market Basket earlier and Return To Pooh Corner got stuck on a loop over the store radio.  I almost lost my shit the fourth time around.  I'm still a bit traumatized.

Essie Mae

Not surprised.  Once would drive me to distraction.  Musical tastes are such a personal thing, I can't understand why supermarkets and other public places play it.  They please nobody.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

OldGit

Some Baroque stuff with lots of trumpets.  They'll say what it is at the end.  I like Baroque music.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Essie Mae on November 14, 2014, 12:47:53 AM
Not surprised.  Once would drive me to distraction.  Musical tastes are such a personal thing, I can't understand why supermarkets and other public places play it.  They please nobody.

They usually have the most ridiculous stuff playing.  Typically I can't shop there without hearing Ricky Martin at least once.  I can get over it, possibly because I don't like much top 40 music and never have so I'm used to coping.  Unless it's stuck on repeat.

I was standing in the store like, "should I complain about this? Should I just leave? They have to fix it soon. What if they don't? Is this totally weird to complain about?"

Biggus Dickus

Major corporations actually do studies and research to determine what is the best music to play so as to encourage folks to buy and spend more.
Some stores for example tend to play slow music to get you to linger inside and form emotional attachments with brands.
One Asian mall saw an uptick in purchases by pregnant women after it "started playing soothing music from the era when these women were born," marketing expert Martin Lindstrom wrote in his book Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy. And, according to Lindstrom, the women said the mall's music continued to have a calming effect on their children even after they were born.

Another study in Scotland found that diners at a restaurant spent more money when slow music was playing, as opposed to fast music. This might be why Starbucks plays jazz and grocery stores play that slow elevator music that OldGit seems to enjoy so much.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Bruno on November 14, 2014, 01:42:42 PM

Major corporations actually do studies and research to determine what is the best music to play so as to encourage folks to buy and spend more.
Some stores for example tend to play slow music to get you to linger inside and form emotional attachments with brands.
One Asian mall saw an uptick in purchases by pregnant women after it "started playing soothing music from the era when these women were born," marketing expert Martin Lindstrom wrote in his book Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy. And, according to Lindstrom, the women said the mall's music continued to have a calming effect on their children even after they were born.

Another study in Scotland found that diners at a restaurant spent more money when slow music was playing, as opposed to fast music. This might be why Starbucks plays jazz and grocery stores play that slow elevator music that OldGit seems to enjoy so much.
I prefer to work with absolutely no music so i can read on my slow time. I have two coworkers who can't work without music, but when I am behind the counter, i don't turn on the radio and no one but my Sunday crew complains about it being 'too quiet.'

Radios often play songs in a loop. Even if it's music i don't mind listening to, when you hear Bon Jovi for the 3rd time in 2 hours, you wanna kick a deer. I'd rather just have silence and everyone can be happy. Fuck music in stores, because it pleases no one.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Sweetdeath on November 14, 2014, 09:40:32 PM
Quote from: Bruno on November 14, 2014, 01:42:42 PM

I prefer to work with absolutely no music so i can read on my slow time. I have two coworkers who can't work without music, but when I am behind the counter, i don't turn on the radio and no one but my Sunday crew complains about it being 'too quiet.'

Radios often play songs in a loop. Even if it's music i don't mind listening to, when you hear Bon Jovi for the 3rd time in 2 hours, you wanna kick a deer. I'd rather just have silence and everyone can be happy. Fuck music in stores, because it pleases no one.

Years ago when I first started working here I was out in one of the open spaces working in a cubicle, and I had co-workers who worked next to me, there were four of us grouped together in this sort of box. (Now I have an office and I've turned the overhead office-speaker off, and I listen to my own music)

Anyway during the holidays they would play a constant loop of Christmas music starting in early November, most of us hated it. I despised it, to hear those same songs over and over again for weeks at a time was akin to fucking torture.

One of the ladies sitting in our group loved, I mean fucking loved that totally ridiculous song about the hippopotamus, I'm sure you all know the one I'm referring to.

It would play about 4-5 times a day, and each time it came on she would proclaim for all the world to hear, "OMG, I just love this song" (Try to imagine the most annoying, sing-song voice you can imagine, that was her)

Then she would proceed to sing along with the song. After a couple days of this nonsense the remaining three of us in the group were ready to kill her, so we elected one of us to go and speak to her and ask her politely to stop singing along with the song.
Probably was a good thing it wasn't me elected to speak because I would have been less than polite.

She was a little put-off by our request, but a few angry stares made her see the point.

i hate that fucking song to this day.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-