News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

MarcusA

I am listening to a soul music program. None of it so far sounds very soulful.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

I... Don't have a soul.

Actually, I do not quite understand the concept of Soul as a music genre. (As in, I understand what it is, but why is that specifically Soul?) Like, if good music stirs, amplifies or focuses certain emotions, then would not all good music be "soul?" Or is it religious heritage what defines what is and is not "Soul?" As in, music that's supposed to pluck at that God-shaped whatnot some people have?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Soul music is characteristically from black sources. By black, I mean the Afro-American community.

Some of it is melodic and rhythmic. Almost all of it it heavily rhythmic but sometimes not melodic. Soul music covers a wide spectrum. I am actually hooked on religious soul renditions by a good gospel choir of black persons.  In my mind, That is "gettin down", which is certainly entertaining and attention getting.

Then there is RAP. That is a genre that is predominantly black but it lacks the melodies and harmonies of actual music.  It does have rhythm and rhyme and a lot of it has lyrics that are definitely fit for church.     

Icarus

For a different take on music, here is a kid who can play the piano with astounding skill. Who knew that a 14 year old could press keys with such precision, speed, and creativity?

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

The radio station
plays on in the background
'til over the top.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

The Magic Pudding.

The Magic Pudding.

billy rubin

billy rubin

jeez. edgar froese lives on?

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames