News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Music is alive and well. It's not my music but it's music.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

What a lady Tina was. Lenny Bernstein, quite rightly, adored her.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

billy rubin

i cannot get these artists out of my head

this is a live version of something i have posted previously. not som many instruments, not so plished a presentation. but its real music, the stuff thta can be made in front of you by humans in real time.

fewer instruments. no studio mixing. no overdubbing. just the minimalist artists and what they can do with their instruments.

classical and related music still maintains this grounded reality. recorded classical is good to hear. well mixed is even better. but it doesnt compare to actually watchn the musicians in front of you actually doing the sound.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

and this one too. a delicate piece that i am still listening to

when i find a piece of music i like, i listen to it over and over and over, until i can anticipate the instruments, , the sequence of movements, the different melodies, and the different themes coming and going. i dont know anything about music theory, but i can sometimes piece together a bit of what the artists are doing by stupid brute force.

the advantage of this is that i can eventually carry fairly long pieces of music in my head, that i can replay to myself when ever i want. poetry is like that-- you cant possess a piece of poetry until youve internalized it so throughly that you can recite it yourself.

i can do short pieces of poetry--lewis carroll-level stuff-- and before i die i want to actualize a lifelong dream of memorizing as much of coleridges rime of the ancient mariner as i can. if i can do some of thati will finally achieved a bit of value n my life that might last a while.

i would do eliot but he infuriates me whenever i read anything he wrote, like james joyce. but like with joyce, i keep coming back.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i want to do this. from memory

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2023, 08:51:37 PMand this one too. a delicate piece that i am still listening to

when i find a piece of music i like, i listen to it over and over and over, until i can anticipate the instruments, , the sequence of movements, the different melodies, and the different themes coming and going. i dont know anything about music theory, but i can sometimes piece together a bit of what the artists are doing by stupid brute force.

the advantage of this is that i can eventually carry fairly long pieces of music in my head, that i can replay to myself when ever i want. poetry is like that-- you cant possess a piece of poetry until youve internalized it so throughly that you can recite it yourself.

i can do short pieces of poetry--lewis carroll-level stuff-- and before i die i want to actualize a lifelong dream of memorizing as much of coleridges rime of the ancient mariner as i can. if i can do some of thati will finally achieved a bit of value n my life that might last a while.

i would do eliot but he infuriates me whenever i read anything he wrote, like james joyce. but like with joyce, i keep coming back.

Poetry is best captured in snatches.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

except when youre talking about the iliad. the oddesey. the aeanid. beowulf. roland. and prose shit like chaucer and on  and on.

snatches are best captured by me, certainly, because im a moron. but if i could, id do the whole things.

billy rubin

nothing has changed since 1968.

The Magic Pudding.

The Magic Pudding.

Poetry is more than a fucking stub.

The Magic Pudding.

hermes2015

In my ongoing exploration of music I've discovered something truly remarkable I want to share with you guys. What is astonishing is that the Danish composer Rued Langgaard composed this piece, The Music of the Spheres, in 1916.

Related to this, Per Nørgård tells a funny story about how he tricked Gyorgÿ Ligeti into discovering this piece.

As many here may be aware, Stanley Kubrick used Ligeti's music in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

As I've said many times before: classical music is a never-ending journey of discovery for me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.