News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

My Windows 7 BETA Review

Started by Nazzer, January 15, 2009, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazzer

Pardon the lack of structure in my writing, I typed as I discovered and used new features.

The first thing I noticed upon booting windows 7 was the fact that it looks so much like vista. This can be attributed to the Aero theme, and if you hated Aero on Vista, you won't like it much more here: it's got even more Aerocity than you can even handle. When I noticed this, I right clicked on the desktop: and was greeted by the menu listings you might expect from the desktop ontext menu, but the "properties" option has been replaced by "Screen Resolution", "Personalize", and "Gadgets". I clicked gadgets first. This is the replacement for the annoying resource-hogging sidebar of Vista. Now these little apps are completely free of the side dock thingy (The proper term escapes me), and take up far less resources. Now, I exit the Gadgets list and open the Personalize menu, which has most of the "Display Properties" functionality from XP. I clicked the "Windows Classic" theme, and Aero disappeared. This Aero-less theme (Microsoft is going to start calling them "Styles" when Windows 7 ships. Needless.) is very similar to old windows styles, so if you don't like aero, don't panic: you can turn it off. Hopefully, someone will make an XP theme as well.

Now I look at the taskbar. I notice that it is really, really different from previous Windows versions. It's reminiscent of the Mac "Dock", but with the same goal as the taskbar. It's a little "ribbon" of glass, with buttons for programs and tasks. However, it doesn't have the name of the program, just the icon representing it. You can hover your mouse over the icon, and a thumbnail pops up showing the window, and the thumbnail includes a button to exit the program. While hovering over the thumbnail, the program restores, but only as long as your mouse is on the thumbnail. You can, however, click the thumbnail to keep it restored.
This taskbar also allows you to drag programs onto it so you can have shortcuts to open them. It also improves the grouping of similar tasks. If you have multiple Internet Explorer 8 windows open, you can hover your mouse over the icon and it will bring up thumbnails of each instance, which you can mouse over to bring to the front, or exit by clicking the individual X's.

The notification area, also known as the system tray, has been heavily redesigned as well. Bothered by the notifications of Adobe Reader's Updater? Well, you can turn them off completely, and not just within the program: the OS will actually force it to turn off. Also, the notification area will no longer push tasks aside on the taskbar. Instead, it has a little arrow that you can click to see the icons in a little pop-up.

Another addition is the "Recent Tasks" feature integrated into the OS. I dragged my Adobe Reader shortcut onto the task bar, and instead of treating it as a shortcut, it acted as if I had dragged the executable itself to the taskbar. This opens new functionality. For instance, if I right-click the icon, it will show some recently opened files in the program. I can also drag tasks around the bar, rearranging their order.

In the time I've used it, I've noticed a highly improved general speed over Vista or XP. This is the fastest windows yet, and it's just as fast on my home computer as it is on the super-fast one at school. I am able to run it well with 768 megabytes of RAM, and it ran resonably well before I installed by video card drivers. (By the way, if you run windows update through windows 7, you'll find that Nvidia already supports Windows 7, being the first hardware company to provide proprietary drivers for the Operating System.)

I have to say, Microsoft has met with the critics of Vista and popped out a really good baby. I recommend you all dual-boot this as soon as you get the chance. It's pretty and functional, with all the cool little extras, bells, ribbons, and whistles, but still with all the functionality of XP. It takes some getting used to, but when you do, you realize it's great.

Kyuuketsuki

I've downloaded it but not yet installed it (trying to redesign my cellar from my den/hobby room/computer build & DIY area to an office/movie den ... I'm a bit worried it might kill my PC and since I'm midway through moving my server from 2003 to 2008 I'm a bit worried I might trash some of my data backups.

I plan to put in an additional hard drive and then test ... I prefer clean builds anyway :)

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Nazzer"Now I look at the taskbar. I notice that it is really, really different from previous Windows versions. It's reminiscent of the Mac "Dock",

Oddly enough, most of the new features on windows are trying to make it be more like a Mac. Unfortunately though, windows will still never be as good as a Mac.  ;)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Oddly enough, most of the new features on windows are trying to make it be more like a Mac. Unfortunately though, windows will still never be as good as a Mac.  :D

-Curio

Whitney

I have a question.  My desktop computer is infected by a virus that likely can't be removed in any easy manner.  So, I need to just wipe the drive and start over; but I lost my disk and the company that built my comp is out of business (meaning I can't get the correct windows CD since it was from their corporate license).  Can I get the windows 7 on a CD and install like I would a non-beta operating system.  If not, I'm going to take this as an oportunity to try out linux.  I have nothing to lose if either crashes.

Godless

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"
Quote from: "Nazzer"Now I look at the taskbar. I notice that it is really, really different from previous Windows versions. It's reminiscent of the Mac "Dock",

Oddly enough, most of the new features on windows are trying to make it be more like a Mac. Unfortunately though, windows will still never be as good as a Mac.  ;)

Uh... no. Just no. Macs are more expensive and do less. They have much less program support than Windows, less options for more advanced computer users, and it's harder to customize the hardware if you can at all.

jcm

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I have a question.  My desktop computer is infected by a virus that likely can't be removed in any easy manner.  So, I need to just wipe the drive and start over; but I lost my disk and the company that built my comp is out of business (meaning I can't get the correct windows CD since it was from their corporate license).  Can I get the windows 7 on a CD and install like I would a non-beta operating system.  If not, I'm going to take this as an oportunity to try out linux.  I have nothing to lose if either crashes.

have you tried this, it is free:

http://www.superantispyware.com

it is really good at removing nasty stuff.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Whitney

Quote from: "jcm"http://www.superantispyware.com

it is really good at removing nasty stuff.

Nope but I'll give it a try the next time I fire the computer up.  I need to go buy a cheap jump drive to back up a couple files that I don't have backed up...then label the jump drive infected.

Anyway, end detrail.

Recusant

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I have a question...

Re-formatting is pretty drastic, especially if you don't have a disk to re-boot your OS.  Major Geeks is a very good place to learn how to clear up computer problems, and they will help you work through some of the more difficult procedures, as well as analyzing results produced by diagnostic programs that you can download from their site.  As far as I know, this is a free service.

(Sorry for continuing the side-track of this thread, but I think this is a useful place for people to know about.)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Godless"Uh... no. Just no. Macs are more expensive and do less. They have much less program support than Windows, less options for more advanced computer users, and it's harder to customize the hardware if you can at all.

What he said :)

Kyu

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I have a question.  My desktop computer is infected by a virus that likely can't be removed in any easy manner.  So, I need to just wipe the drive and start over; but I lost my disk and the company that built my comp is out of business (meaning I can't get the correct windows CD since it was from their corporate license).  Can I get the windows 7 on a CD and install like I would a non-beta operating system.  If not, I'm going to take this as an oportunity to try out linux.  I have nothing to lose if either crashes.

Give it a go ... Linux is good (very good) if you can handle that kind of techy approach but be aware that when you install Linux it usually install a boot loader right into the Hard Disk MBR and that can be a complete b****** to get out and requires (as far as I know) a rewrite of the MBR (FDISK/MBR).

If you want to try something non-destructive most Linux distro's these days seem to come as what they call a "Live CD" which will run purely from the CD with no effect of your system or its data.

Kyu

SSY

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Godless"Uh... no. Just no. Macs are more expensive and do less. They have much less program support than Windows, less options for more advanced computer users, and it's harder to customize the hardware if you can at all.

More expensive? Yes, at time of purchase. No need to pay a yearly fee for virus protection which doesn't work, and then pay to get it fixed when it breaks down from viruses or malware.

Do less? HA. Don't think so. Much less program support than windows? That's odd... New Macs can operate windows, as well as OSX. Can windows computers run OSX? I think not.
Less options for more "advanced" computer users? Nope. More actually, since they can run 2 different operating systems, actually it's 3, since Linux can be included if necessary.

The only correct statements in that post are that Macs cost more (superior computers) and they are harder to customize. That is, unless you get a Mac Pro, which is in quite a large tower which allows for customization. Although, since you pay for performance, it's usually not necessary to do so.
Don't believe me? Here's all the proof you need: http://store.apple.com/us

I'll try to convert someone to Mac before I try to convert them to atheism.  :banna:
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Nazzer

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"More expensive? Yes, at time of purchase. No need to pay a yearly fee for virus protection which doesn't work, and then pay to get it fixed when it breaks down from viruses or malware.
The only reason Macs don't have many viruses is that they have a smaller user base, which is generally far friendlier.
QuoteDo less? HA. Don't think so. Much less program support than windows? That's odd... New Macs can operate windows, as well as OSX. Can windows computers run OSX? I think not.
Excuse me, but I have a Dell computer designed for Windows XP, and I have XP, OSX, and Windows 7 running on it.
QuoteLess options for more "advanced" computer users? Nope. More actually, since they can run 2 different operating systems, actually it's 3, since Linux can be included if necessary.
ANY PC can run more than one operating system.
QuoteThe only correct statements in that post are that Macs cost more (superior computers) and they are harder to customize. That is, unless you get a Mac Pro, which is in quite a large tower which allows for customization. Although, since you pay for performance, it's usually not necessary to do so.
Don't believe me? Here's all the proof you need: http://store.apple.com/us
The reason they cost more is because the computers cost more to manufacture, since they always have complicated, proprietary cases and hardware.

And also, they aren't just hard to customize as far as hardware goes (There are very few third-party companies that support Mac), but also the OS lacks many customization options. Ever try editing the Mac registry? Of course not, because there is no such thing.

Mac OSs don't like users to mess around with the kernel at all. They keep you at the Application level, and don't let you dig into the OS's guts at all, so if a problem DOES arise, you have no choice but to take your computer to a professional, while Windows computers are easy to fix with just a bit of technical knowledge.
QuoteI'll try to convert someone to Mac before I try to convert them to atheism.  :banna:
[/quote]
It's fine.

Tom62

Well I never had a virus on any of my Windows PC's and I'm using Windows since version 3.1. But then of course I don't visiting obscure websites; don't download pirate software and don't open mail attachments from unknown sources. Any way there are freeware anti-virus programs available for Windows that offer very good protection and don't steal all your system resources (like McAfee and Norton does).

Like Nazzer already said the main reason why Macs don't have so many viruses is only because they are not that common as Windows PC's. But that can change, because they are quickly gaining popularity, especially after the rather disastrous launch of Windows Vista. My wife owns a MacBook and an iMac and she is pretty much pleased with them. They worked immediately "out of the box", no need to tweak around with configuration settings, great support options by Apple (like one on one trainings) etc. etc. After struggling with the installation of an older Outlook version on my PC at home last night (took me 2 hours to get it up and running) I'm now considering as well to buy me a Mac in the near future. I just wished that they were not so expensive. My hopes are therefore that either Apple lower their prices or that Windows 7 truly delivers all the "goodies". Somehow I have some doubts about that latter one, because we are still stuck with that horrible registry and programs that don't seem to like each other.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein