News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Frontline: A Class Divided

Started by Whitney, December 30, 2008, 02:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

This is not new, but it is new to me.

QuoteThis is one of the most requested programs in FRONTLINE's history. It is about an Iowa schoolteacher who, the day after Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered in 1968, gave her third-grade students a first-hand experience in the meaning of discrimination. This is the story of what she taught the children, and the impact that lesson had on their lives.

Click on the following link to access the video:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /view.html

If more teachers could be allowed to run similar exercises in their own classrooms, maybe we could stamp out discrimination.

DennisK

I had watched the first part of this show, but not the last part with the adults.  Very revealing.  Thanks for posting.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

curiosityandthecat

We've studies this over and over in the college of education. It's an amazingly powerful tool (though nigh impossible to replicate today).
-Curio

LARA

I've seen that one quite awhile back, it's a really good piece but really unethical to test kids like that.  =sigh= Why are the best psychology experiments always so evil?

One of my favorite unethical psychology experiments you might or might not have read about is the Stanford Prison experiment.  Worth a read if you haven't done so yet.

www.prisonexp.org  (this link isn't working for me but the cached version still works if you search with Google.)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Whitney

Quote from: "LARA"I've seen that one quite awhile back, it's a really good piece but really unethical to test kids like that.  =sigh= Why are the best psychology experiments always so evil?

Are you saying the method was unethical or just that the kids being sujected to testing was unethical?  I'm not sure if I would agree, it seemed pretty harmless to me.

DennisK

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "LARA"I've seen that one quite awhile back, it's a really good piece but really unethical to test kids like that.  =sigh= Why are the best psychology experiments always so evil?

Are you saying the method was unethical or just that the kids being sujected to testing was unethical?  I'm not sure if I would agree, it seemed pretty harmless to me.
At first, I thought it seemed to be harmful, but the effects were actually very beneficial it seems.  Kids were reportedly pushing themselves more in school having higher levels of success.  The reunion seemed to show very tight bonds and an overall cohesive group, albeit a very small community.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

SSY

One of my favorite unethical psychology experiments you might or might not have read about is the Stanford Prison experiment.  Worth a read if you haven't done so yet.

http://www.prisonexp.org  (this link isn't working for me but the cached version still works if you search with Google.)

If you look at experiments like stanford prison or the milgram experiment, it is evident humans really aren't as nice as society would have you beleive.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SSY"If you like at experiments like stanford prison or the milgram experiment, it is evident humans really aren't as nice as society would have you beleive.

This is why I think more people should read up on Xun Zi (荀子).
-Curio