News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

I'm messed up!

Started by DennisK, December 20, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisK

I can't remember what the thread I was reading, but there was some discussion about multi dimensions.  I knew they were theoretically possible, however, it was only because I had read it somewhere.  I never really cared to investigate what that meant until recently.

Since diving into the endless possibilities, it messed with my mind -almost to the point of insanity (some may argue the "almost").  I jump back and forth from clarity to mass confusion in a spit second.  It's like I'm painting on this gigantic canvas.  I'm working on it up close and I'm able to add a lot of color and detail and it makes me feel good about my progress.  A split second later, I'm viewing it from 100 meters away and can only see hints of color.  Then I'm a mile away and can't even see the canvas.

I find myself wanting someone to take the canvas away and burn it, but at the same time, I'm wanting others to help me work on it until completion.  I'm using parts of my brain that have been dormant most of my life and it's both fascinating and frightening what I'm able to see (not seeing demons...yet :eek: ).  By the way, I don't use hallucinogens.  Should I?

Anybody else considerably effected by deeper thought of other dimensions?  Are you able to keep science and philosophy separate here?
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

McQ

Quote from: "DennisK"I can't remember what the thread I was reading, but there was some discussion about multi dimensions.  I knew they were theoretically possible, however, it was only because I had read it somewhere.  I never really cared to investigate what that meant until recently.

Since diving into the endless possibilities, it messed with my mind -almost to the point of insanity (some may argue the "almost").  I jump back and forth from clarity to mass confusion in a spit second.  It's like I'm painting on this gigantic canvas.  I'm working on it up close and I'm able to add a lot of color and detail and it makes me feel good about my progress.  A split second later, I'm viewing it from 100 meters away and can only see hints of color.  Then I'm a mile away and can't even see the canvas.

I find myself wanting someone to take the canvas away and burn it, but at the same time, I'm wanting others to help me work on it until completion.  I'm using parts of my brain that have been dormant most of my life and it's both fascinating and frightening what I'm able to see (not seeing demons...yet :eek: ).  By the way, I don't use hallucinogens.  Should I?

Anybody else considerably effected by deeper thought of other dimensions?  Are you able to keep science and philosophy separate here?

Funny you should bring this up, Dennis. Yes, something similar has happened to me numerous times. In fact, you describe it in a way that really makes sense to me and that I can relate to. The most bizarre part of this, to me, is the split second it takes to suddenly NOT be able to see what seemed so perfectly clear. It's almost agonizing.

One of my pet peeves (as a Libertarian-leaning person), is the banning of many...errrr....ummm....let's say "substances". Not that I am now or ever was a junkie, but mind altering chemicals have shown to induce similar sensations and effects. Obviously, the U.S. governments own experiments with LSD were bizarre, but a lot of information was gained through experimental use (both by professionals and casual users). I often wonder if certain of these substances wouldn't be a way for people to reconnect with this type of phenomenon.

You certainly aren't alone in this feeling or experience. I'll bet we hear from several other members on this too. Neuroscience is still, IMO, in its infancy, and we can learn a lot more about these things. Good topic!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

I have yet to meet the subject that I could not wrap my mind around after intense, and precise, thought. :cool:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

DennisK

McQ,
Under full disclosure, I too wish hallucinogens were more accessible.  Don't worry, I won't blame the pharmaceutical companies for the suppression until I make a connection.

I've recently discovered that the pineal gland may have been known about and revered in ancient history and that the pineal gland produces DMT.  There is speculation that ancient pine cone type symbolism along with other references were thought of as the 'third eye' and represented in many ancient cultures.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently the secretion of DMT takes place during REM sleep which would explain psychedelic dreams.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

DennisK

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"I have yet to meet the subject that I could not wrap my mind around after intense, and precise, thought. :cool:
Seriously?  I can't read if the avatar is suggesting sarcasm or not.

McQ

Quote from: "DennisK"
Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"I have yet to meet the subject that I could not wrap my mind around after intense, and precise, thought. :cool:
Seriously?  I can't read if the avatar is suggesting sarcasm or not.

I can't determine that either. Really.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

Yes. Seriously. Sorry If I come off as a jerk. or a smart-ass.  :cool:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.