News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Who's A Pedant?

Started by Kyuuketsuki, December 18, 2008, 11:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyuuketsuki

I'm a pedant, I freely admit it! Especially when it comes to spelling and grammar.

The use of the correct word for a given situation bothers me greatly ... for instance the misuse of "affect" & "effect".

What obvious spelling and or grammar howlers bug you?

AFTERTHOUGHT: Or other pedantry!

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"What obvious spelling and or grammar howlers bug you?

Kyu

when english speaking people mistake their and they're. It just makes my hair stand up.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "MariaEvri"when english speaking people mistake their and they're. It just makes my hair stand up.

And "there" I guess! You're right though, we should make allowances for non-English speakers though often they seem to be better at it than many native English.

SMS/text language bugs the hell out of me too.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"SMS/text language bugs the hell out of me too.

Kyu

I dont really mind sms language, but leet. or l33t or whatever its called. Now THAT gives me a headache XD
www.poseidonsimons.com

Wechtlein Uns

Quote from: "MariaEvri"
Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"SMS/text language bugs the hell out of me too.

Kyu

I dont really mind sms language, but leet. or l33t or whatever its called. Now THAT gives me a headache XD

4w, bu7 w|-|y?

j00 n33d 70 l1gh73n up, d00d.  :raised:
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

curiosityandthecat

As someone with a degree in English education, it makes me want to kick babies. Srsly.

I cut a lot of slack to non-native speakers; you kind of have to. Native speakers, however, get no such leniency. I consider poor grammar to be the first big, red flag that I'm not going to agree with what that person says. Creative grammar is fine; poor grammar is mind-numbing.
-Curio

BadPoison

People who say:
"Fairly unique"

"I personally"

"At this moment in time"

"Shouldn't of"

People who missuse the words:

"Literally"
"Absolutely"

And anyone who says the word "whatever" as their counterpoint!

BadPoison

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "BadPoison"Ooh, ooh:

irregardless!

Christ, that makes me cringe.

Most people don't even use "regardless" correctly, either!
-Curio

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"4w, bu7 w|-|y?

ehmmm emmm
what?????

edit: okaaaay I understood the second sentence  :)
www.poseidonsimons.com

curiosityandthecat

ehmmm emmm
what?????

"Aw, but why? You need to lighten up, dude." Man, I hate l33t speak, haha.
-Curio

BadPoison

ehmmm emmm
what?????

I can help!

"Aw, but why?
You need to lighten up, dude. "

BadPoison

MariaEvri

Quote from: "BadPoison"

ehmmm emmm
what?????

I can help!

"Aw, but why?

You need to lighten up, dude. "

thanks
its that "aww but why" part i couldnt understand
www.poseidonsimons.com

Faithless

I must admit to being a most dreadful pedant.  I was a court reporter for 15 years, so not only did I have to deal with bad grammar, I also had to try to punctuate the spoken word, which is sometimes really hard.  On top of that, since everything produced must be verbatim, it's not like I could just change stuff around to make sense.

I have a very long list of grammatical grievances with the English-speaking world in general, but there are a few at the top of my list that make me grit my teeth and want to scream.

The continual inability of almost everyone to properly use an apostrophe.  It's two cars, not two car's!  A plural noun does NOT use an apostrophe.

"They're going over there to eat their lunch."  Read it and learn, America!  That sentence right there should answer all your questions about they're, there, and their!

All the time I see people say stupid things like, "That was given to my husband and I."  Think about it!  If someone gives you something, do you say, "Golly, look what Johnny gave I"?

I have to stop here before I start foaming at the mouth and ripping out my hair.  It's a huge problem for me because I can't even read a newspaper anymore without getting mad and ripping it to shreds.  Thank the FSM for cable or I'd never get any news!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain